roof-top bikeracks?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my brother's wife wants a cruiser, and that means my brother does too, so they can ride together. He's REALLY into roadbikes, has a Felt that he paid more than I've ever paid for a car for, and has a thule roofrack type rack with the trough for the back tyre, and the brace/skewer set-up for the fork. He wants to know if this will be sufficient for a cruiser, or if he should just get a trunk-mounted one, like I have. Any ideas?

I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as you have a quick release skewer on the front hub (and some muscle to get it up there)

You can make a cruiser tire fit in the tray. I have Yakima roof racks and have made my Electra with 24x3" Fattie-O's fit up there. I didn't have a warm fuzzy when I first did it, so I went for a short shake down cruise to work and back. Worked pretty well so used the set up for three camping trips. the Yakima King Cobra is the tray set up that worked best for my Electra. I tried the Raptor, which worked but it worked better on My wife's Townie so her bike went into that. Here's a really bad phone photo of my bike up on the roof of my car:

0729071221a.jpg

darn it I missed the part about removing the front wheel.

I tried that for my wife's townie and I could not anchor the fork to the fork mount because the fender hit the tray.

I've been wondering about roofmounts as well. I would like to modify a roof rack for my old bug to fit 2 stingrays. Maybe just weld in some thin "c" beams of steel to hold the wheels? Any ideas :?:

i have a yakima rooftop carrier that i've never had a problem w/, but it is the style that requires you to take the front wheel off.

Well Eddie, I suppose you are right about it being difficult. I do have an unfair advantage being 6'5". I always forget about that. Until I hit my head on something. :lol:

I have a set of Yakimas on my roof. The kind that has a clamp arm tht attaches to the downtube. It works well with my lighter road bikes but gets a little scarry with my heavier cruisers. Still works fine though. I think they have a weight limit of 70lbs. BUt I think I will see if I can make some sort of secondary bracing to stretch from the top tube to one of cross bars.

Latest posts

Back