Rollin' Scrap....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently acquired an older cantilever frame. No brand, no markings, there may be a serial number stamped in the bottom of the frame....or it may be my imagination. It does have a couple issues, the worst of which is the dropouts, 1 side in particular is a wreck. This is the frame as I got it.
57484797_2141646052622655_7361688960273219584_n.jpg

This is a close up of the drop outs...…..rough!
0413190825.jpg

I got to working on it this afternoon, first cut some new dropouts.
0413191106a.jpg
Then welded them in place on the outsides of the originals, basically doubling the thickness, and providing a clean new slot on side for the axle. Not quite perfect, but definitely close enough for this project. As you can probably see from the title " Rollin' Scrap" this bike is not going for the ultimate in shine and polish. More of a budget build and some practice fixing frames with issues like this.
0413191223a.jpg
A little grinding work to make it match the rest of the frame a bit better....
0413191318.jpg
and getting ready to move on to things like figuring out a seat post that will work with this frame.
0413191223.jpg

Nice save on those dropouts, I would have been tempted to make them bmx style rear entry, but what you did looks good!
Is the paint some black in the hard to clean areas followed by clear? Very cool!

Nice save on those dropouts, I would have been tempted to make them bmx style rear entry, but what you did looks good!
Is the paint some black in the hard to clean areas followed by clear? Very cool!
Paint is original red, all other areas blackened with mapp gas torch and clear coated with matte finish. Will try and capture what it looks like up close.

WOW!!! That is a fantastic budget build so far. Keep posting I’m looking forward to seeing the finished bike. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just about done. I need a skinnier tire up front, is too wide for the fork. May add a rack to the rear, but will have to see how it fits before I commit to it. Over all am very happy with this. It would not have come together so quickly, but I landed a sweet trade and scored these rims today!!! Thanks for the comments, enjoy. I will post a final pic, but this is darn close to what I wanted to end up with.
0414191409.jpg

I think I have decided against the rack. The particular one I have the would look right style wise does not mount in ways that lets it sit how I would want. On the other side, today I did a little drilling to add a water bottle holder. 1 of the best parts of building a rat vs. doing resto work is not getting stuck with only period correct accessories. New tire for the front ordered, Sticking with Kenda, losing about 3/4 in. in width to clear the forks.
0415191228_HDR.jpg
0415191228a_HDR.jpg

I recently acquired an older cantilever frame. No brand, no markings, there may be a serial number stamped in the bottom of the frame....or it may be my imagination. It does have a couple issues, the worst of which is the dropouts, 1 side in particular is a wreck. This is the frame as I got it. View attachment 92494
This is a close up of the drop outs...…..rough! View attachment 92493
The stamped frame looks like one of my 80's Murray ?

The stamped frame looks like one of my 80's Murray ?
Not sure, I did find the serial number stamped into the steerer tube during this build. There are some other markings on the underside of the BB shell, but they are hard to make out. I haven't looked it up yet. Some of the style etc. makes me think it is old Columbia.

So I spent a little $$ on this project today....I guess it can't all be all found items and things I have traded for. Instead of a rack I am going with the small size Wald gloss black front basket. To be installed after the front tire gets here, they have finally shipped....it is sitting in West Virginia right now. I also found this hazmat placard just laying in the street. And I thought it kept with theme of my "paint by torch" aesthetic, so it was hinged with a utility knife and zip tied using the holes that were in it when I found it.
0418192047.jpg

New tire arrived, basket mounted, and a little tweaking of the spokes to get the front wheel centered in the forks. I'm calling it done at this time, and gonna put some miles down before anything else.
0424191301.jpg
10+ miles on this so far today. I got back and made a proper shim for the seat post, as it starting moving a little towards the end of the ride. This is quickly becoming a favorite in my collection.

Latest posts

Back