Rollfast...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I E-Mailed replying to a craigslist ad for a Rollfast. It was said to be in town here. Thought it would be cool to look at :)
When I got the reply it was from an old friend I had not talked to in awhile. So I asked if he could shoot me a photo. He said he would and did. I called him back right away and told him I'll be by tomorrow morning to get it! :D This is all I know about it at this point. No Serial # as I will not pick it up till tomorrow.
Any help identifying the model would rock as I have not had any luck yet from just the photo.

bikerollfast.jpg

It's a 59 or newer middleweight. There's 1958 catalog pages in Classic Bicycle news' Rollfast book, and they show the new for that year cantilever frame like yours, but the only tank models were on a straightbar frame. a 1959 Firestone ad, showing Snyder built bikes (who also built Rollfast), shows the Murrayesque chainring, plus that canti tank on the Deluxe speed cruiser model. But, it has the earlier, larger chainguard. So it's likely early 60s, the Snyder serial numbers haven't been figured out yet, the factory closed in 1975. -Adam

Cool. I have one of those tanks and was wondering where it cam from. Anybody need one or maybe have a frame my tank will fit?

Hi! First, I don't know crap about Rollfast, but just looking at the pics the distance at different points between the fender and the tires looks strange to me. And I'm not used to seeing the space between the top of the front fender and the bottom of the fork. Is this all normal? Just wondering. Thanks.

Road Master said:
Hi! First, I don't know crap about Rollfast, but just looking at the pics the distance at different points between the fender and the tires looks strange to me. And I'm not used to seeing the space between the top of the front fender and the bottom of the fork. Is this all normal? Just wondering. Thanks.
There's a 3 -4 position above the rear drop-out...The fender is slid all the way back where a Rack would bolt in.
All that is needed is to loosen and tighten into the slot closer to the seat stays. No biggie. :lol:

FOUND OBJECTS said:
He had it listed on CL as a DeLuxe V-924...My thought was it looks close to a 1958 Ranger or so...
The V series was back in the 30s, the postwar models generally just had numbers and not model names. And Snyder built Rangers for Mead around those years (late 50s), so you're right on there! -Adam :mrgreen:

Rustinkerer said:
FOUND OBJECTS said:
He had it listed on CL as a DeLuxe V-924...My thought was it looks close to a 1958 Ranger or so...
The V series was back in the 30s, the postwar models generally just had numbers and not model names. And Snyder built Rangers for Mead around those years (late 50s), so you're right on there! -Adam :mrgreen:
So is DP Harris and Snydder connected in any way? Is that what the (SE) stamp above the serial # has something to do with?

FOUND OBJECTS said:
So is DP Harris and Snyder connected in any way? Is that what the (SE) stamp above the serial # has something to do with?
Whoops, missed that question before! DP Harris Hardware owned the Rollfast name, and they also made ball bearings, and Rollfast brand roller skates. They didn't build bikes though, so they teamed up w/Snyder to exclusively build Rollfasts. Snyder was apparently a large company, and built many 1920's Elgins, and most Hawthornes for Ward's. They also had several other badges that may have been related to other stores, like Ben Hur, Roamer, Blue Ribbon, etc. As for the SE stamp, I don't know for sure, but maybe Snyder Enterprises. -Adam

Rustinkerer said:
FOUND OBJECTS said:
So is DP Harris and Snyder connected in any way? Is that what the (SE) stamp above the serial # has something to do with?
Whoops, missed that question before! DP Harris Hardware owned the Rollfast name, and they also made ball bearings, and Rollfast brand roller skates. They didn't build bikes though, so they teamed up w/Snyder to exclusively build Rollfasts. Snyder was apparently a large company, and built many 1920's Elgins, and most Hawthornes for Ward's. They also had several other badges that may have been related to other stores, like Ben Hur, Roamer, Blue Ribbon, etc. As for the SE stamp, I don't know for sure, but maybe Snyder Enterprises. -Adam

Cool Adam...Thanks again for the great info as always :D

I saw an old Huffy Bull Cruiser on the side of the road...it was parked by two other bikes. I couldn't tell if they were for the taking or on display :lol:
So I'll be looking into that today :D Might be a good parts donor in the bunch too. I'll keep you posted.

So I ended up grabbing the Huffy for the bars...and front wheel...
The bars are a near miss as far as fit...but they did end up working out.
I might add a shim inside the tube to catch it a bit better.

IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

Just happened across this thread and realized I have a similar Rollfast that is supposedly a 1959 1/2 model. I added the springer fork.

26246c2a.jpg

Latest posts

Back