Rocky Mountain in the Raw or MAD MAX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I bought this from a friend of mine. This frame was bought via a warehouse sale and all that was know is Rocky Mountain built this frame. It may be a handmade one from the looks of the brazing and heat stain. The frame was unfinished when purchased including the facing of the bearing interfaces and honing of the seat tube. He built it up with mostly Deore XT drivetrain, RaceFace Cranks, Thompson seatpost and Avid Juicy 5 brakes. The bike is now mine and it will mostly stay as is. I may change the saddle and grips, but the ride is good so far.

IMG_20150213_1728136852_zpsnpzci1jp.jpg

It is either a Hammer or Blizzard from 2002-2006. It is funny as those are listed as having TIG welding, while this is brass brazed.

Had mine somewhere in those years, I'll have to dig up some pics to see the tubing IIRC they did claim TIG welding and I *think* I remember beads but I never saw the steel, had a nice blue paint job. Don't remember why I sold it, but it made a nice looking bike.

Couldn't find a completely finished shot, but this was it. My first foray into singlespeeding, but a bit of a bead is visible on the headtube, you must have an experimental house build.
IMG_0205_zpsebirivnd.jpg

Might be. All the cable routing is on the top of the top tube too.

It is possible it is not a Rocky Mountain. It came from a warehouse sale where there were 10 other known RM frames with welded joints and semi-finished frames.

I posted this on mtbr forums and it got ID'd as a Oryx Team XC hardtail.
Its an Oryx Team XC frame. They had a lot of those leftover at Procycle after they discontinued the brand (so as to not rob sales from their Rocky division) and they were unpainted, and as a result many developed some corrosion sitting around the warehouse. Its made from True Temper OX Gold Air-Hardening alloy.​

It also has a technique for joining the frames called Direct Internal Brazing. Some say it works well, while others say not. A brass ring is dropped into the tube then joined and heated to form an internal braze that results in clean looking joints.

Latest posts

Back