Rock Bottom - Complete

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wow ! This was a great experiance! This is my first build off and I had a great time building, restoring and following all the other great builds. Learned lots of new stuff and found out how awesome the Rat Rod Bikes community is. When I needed a link for my skiptooth chain - bike2112 sent it to me in an instant which made this project actually get on the road.
As a recap - I picked this 49 Schwinn from CL for $20. I thought I would at least be able to salvage the frame and I did not own a straight bar. When I got it home my wife saw the condition of it and asked how bad a bike had to be for me to NOT bring it home. A little light bulb went off and I named this bike ROCK BOTTOM :D
Here it is the day I brought it home
100_4319.jpg

100_4316.jpg

When I first started I envisioned a real ratty build and as all of my bikes it had to be a comfortable, rideable street bike. As the build progressed it took on a life of its own and it seemed the bike was telling me how it wanted to look when complete. I still look at and laugh because it looks nothing like my first plan. When my wife saw it complete she said the bike look Elegant !!! So funny to think I was going for all RAT when I started !!!

100_4585-1.jpg

But If you look real close you can see that I kept alot of the rust pitting and even some holes so she is a little Ratty under that Elegant exterior :mrgreen:
100_4324.jpg

100_4593.jpg

100_4582.jpg

100_4589.jpg

Some glamor shots on the boardwalk
RockBottom2.jpg

DSCN0025.jpg

DSCN0024.jpg

DSCN0019.jpg

DSCN0013.jpg

DSCN0016.jpg

DSCN0005.jpg

Thanks to all for the kind comments during the build
Here she is - ROCK BOTTOM
DSCN0021-1.jpg

Great build! :D Looks good with the Columbia springer fork :wink: Nice color choices too 8)

Wow, what a great save! Like the way you colored the springer, handlebars and seat frame to play off the main color scheme 8)
Great photos too! Sharp looking bike, Congrats!

Very nice work!! Great Job 8) :mrgreen:

Looks like Rock Bottom made it up to Rocky Top! Very classy looking and ride-able. The painted pitting just shows the ups and downs of the bikes history. Love it!!

I gotta say, I love this bike. What a way to bring something back from the dead. And OF COURSE!...That bike was totally worth the $20 you paid for it originally, even in that condition. Shoot, over here in So Cal, they would've got at least $150 bucks for the bike in that original, dilapidated condition! Great buy, greater restoration.

Very nice rebuild, shows well.

Great build!!!!
Sweet looking ride!
Congrats!!

Amazing bike/work you ended up with a bike to be really proud of, and those pics are calender material my friend, really nice.

Gdcast said:
Amazing bike/work you ended up with a bike to be really proud of, and those pics are calender material my friend, really nice.
I would be very proud if a photo made it onto the calender. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to write such nice comments. I love looking at all the completed bikes and getting so many great ideas for future builds.

Latest posts

Back