Roadmaster Tribute Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JA331

Ride it like you stole it.
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first new bike was a cheap 70’s Taiwanese built Roadmaster 10 speed. I have a lot of good memories of that bike but changing the cotter pins on the cranks countless times is not one of them. A friend gave me a Chinese made Schwinn Cruiser 3 about 10 years ago that he got in a deal. I decided to build a Roadmaster tribute to my first bike with one of my favourite frames. It was a horrible combination of green and gold. I stripped it, hit it with some red primer and a rattle can and a half of VHT Ford engine dark blue. Most of the parts on it were taken from bikes i’ve parted out. The handlebars are new and were destined to go on my 36 BFG but the steep angle of the head tube and length of the bars made it too awkward for me to ride. The seat and tires are from my heavy duti, chromoly fork from a WTP Avenger, dog leg crank and pedals from my daughter’s slik chick, 95 centennial stem and the wheels from a late model ladies Schwinn.
3CF3C977-C67F-4AF6-BE67-B048C257798A.jpeg
53578007-7102-4CA7-8013-907732A2D920.jpeg
7232B725-8DFF-4EBD-848E-FAD7B0B930D1.jpeg
0CC4CE47-A1FD-4C21-AE2C-BFE57AA7EFB2.jpeg
Odd looking Tektro cruiser front caliper which works really well with the late 80’s dia compe lever. Repro feather chainguard i bought on ebay years ago from a guy in China who was selling aluminium straight bar frame copies. Nos headbadge and a few repro decals to finish it off. Rides as well as my 51 Panther and fortunately there aren’t any cotter pins to change.

Last edited:
62919240-364F-4804-B427-E00319689870.jpeg
8BADF202-A0BE-46BD-A545-546A6775129E.jpeg
FE86EE29-46BF-40A4-8634-5D620A3EA60E.jpeg

Swapped the black duros for these barely used typhoons from a ladies schwinn i parted out some time ago. I’m thinking the black ones look better against the cream rims but would like to know what others think. The typhoons definitely roll better.

Last edited:
Thanks Matti. It is the contrast of the black tires and cream rims that works for me.

I prefer the white (cream?) walls over the duros.

The bike looks classier and higher end with the typhoon tires. I actually like the two-tone created by the rims and tires.

Either are good choices though.

and matti doesn't know what he's talking about. everyone says so

My first new bike was a cheap 70’s Taiwanese built Roadmaster 10 speed. I have a lot of good memories of that bike but changing the cotter pins on the cranks countless times is not one of them. A friend gave me a Chinese made Schwinn Cruiser 3 about 10 years ago that he got in a deal. I decided to build a Roadmaster tribute to my first bike with one of my favourite frames. It was a horrible combination of green and gold. I stripped it, hit it with some red primer and a rattle can and a half of VHT Ford engine dark blue. Most of the parts on it were taken from bikes i’ve parted out. The handlebars are new and were destined to go on my 36 BFG but the steep angle of the head tube and length of the bars made it too awkward for me to ride. The seat and tires are from my heavy duti, chromoly fork from a WTP Avenger, dog leg crank and pedals from my daughter’s slik chick, 95 centennial stem and the wheels from a late model ladies Schwinn. View attachment 151276View attachment 151277View attachment 151278View attachment 151279Odd looking Tektro cruiser front caliper which works really well with the late 80’s dia compe lever. Repro feather chainguard i bought on ebay years ago from a guy in China who was selling aluminium straight bar frame copies. Nos headbadge and a few repro decals to finish it off. Rides as well as my 51 Panther and fortunately there aren’t any cotter pins to change.
My favorite blue.

I prefer the white (cream?) walls over the duros.

The bike looks classier and higher end with the typhoon tires. I actually like the two-tone created by the rims and tires.

Either are good choices though.

and matti doesn't know what he's talking about. everyone says so
Thanks Verrt. I’ve left the Typhoons on it for now. The ladies of the house prefer them and the vintage look has grown on me.

Latest posts

Back