RoadMaster Flying Falcon-Cougar-Thunderbird - on vacation

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a build thread for this over the summer while I was still working on RoadMaster Diesel.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=18010

Not much else had happened with it for a while because the nexus-7 wheel I intended to use is out of whack and neither the LBS or my knowledgeable friends know what to do with it. But when my vacation week came up I packed up the pieces in the trunk to bring with me and assemble at a friend's house, so I could ride it while on vacation.
3947236712_397ff481ba_b.jpg

So, at my friend's place in Queens, NY, he was trying to help me get it together for a ride through Queens and Brooklyn, but first, the nexus-7 wheel is just not going to work, and then I also realized that rini's online bicycle shop (or whatever it's called) sold me a chain that was pre-cut to BMX length, and the LBS sold me a 24" tube in a 26" box.
So I ended up using my friend's Bridgestone for the ride, and just strapped my neons to it:
3946599433_c6be6662fb_b.jpg

I think it aws the first time NYC had seen DownLowGlow neons on a bike, they were freaking out. My friend told me, "wait, you come back in a year, everyone will have those and it will be your fault."

more pics from NYC here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/joeymac/se ... 333133881/

So anyway, after NYC I was on my way to Rochester to take part in the Wednesday and Thursday night cruises that take place. I was able to get the RoadMaster together at my old friend Killmore's place just in time for the ride.

3955538156_079f740ce0_b.jpg

I got the idea for this pic from someone who did something similar with a checkered seat and matching sneakers.

3954759751_ffb0c4d043_b.jpg

My buddy Killmore and I got into making custom bikes at the same time a couple years ago, and these are our latest efforts. Obviously we're into different styles, but each of these bikes are custom just for us.

I ended up going with a pair of cheap chinese coasterbrake wheels, good enough for now, so I can ride this thing. Pretty simple basic build but it rides nice.
3954839647_e604a54c26_b.jpg

more pics from the Wednesday ride:
full set here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/joeymac/se ... 457778088/
3954840533_1d2a43db97_b.jpg

3964627759_64fd84ef1c_b.jpg

Karl riding my bike as we were leaving Lux Lounge for more riding

3964629381_8f6bd196a4_b.jpg

Karl shot this 10 second exposure with my camera while I rode by on my bike. You can see my neon streak and the trail of blinking taillights.

3965402760_f62c4b1eba_b.jpg

another long exposure, I was spinning a light saber.

AND Thursday night too:
full set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/joeymac/se ... 493145426/
3971476280_d003f0d4d7_b.jpg

3970713053_e920b58b58_b.jpg

this dude was riding a borrowed Trek cruiser that was way cooler than him (kind of a jerk)
You can see High Falls behind him.

This is farther north on the river trail, at Lower Falls:
3970715343_e501c3f6a3_b.jpg

looking north towards the lake, still several miles away.
3970716881_4cca8ca5d7_b.jpg

3973418891_8c42d3bdaa_b.jpg

part of the river trail is on this boardwalk over a wide part of the river, it continues along the side up ahead to the right.

Finally to the end of the Pier at Charlotte Beach, on Lake Ontario.
3974187636_67da7d371d_b.jpg

3974189842_1c317772e1_b.jpg

3974409634_10eeb22ea5_b.jpg

Set the camera on the ground with a timer to get this shot of the whole group.

Good times with the old cruisin crew and some new friends.

Then it was back to reality and back to CT, and back to work. I've been riding this bike to work every day since I've been back, well over a hundred miles on this thing already, and it was just slapped together for a couple of rides. I still want to do more with it, but it's good enough for now.

Here I am in Oswego, NY, 80 miles away from Rochester, NY and I am looking for a group to ride with. None of those fine bicycle people are logged in here at Ratrod saying anything about their rides. What have I been missing?

bikejunkie said:
Very cool pictures!The lighting looks pretty cool.That RoadMaster tank is crazy bad!!Did you get your Nexus running?

Thanks. The nexus might be worthless, I bought it used from a fellow forum member too. :(

No cars on mars said:
Here I am in Oswego, NY, 80 miles away from Rochester, NY and I am looking for a group to ride with. None of those fine bicycle people are logged in here at Ratrod saying anything about their rides. What have I been missing?

This is a weekly cruise that I helped start two years ago. But the ride grew after I left Rochester for CT, and now it's expanded to two days, with other random rides happening throughout the week. Not much of a ratrod group, I was the only one riding a vintage cruiser on those rides, but they like to ride and have fun, and are a pretty laid back group. If you're interested show up at Dogtown Hots on Monroe ave on Wednesdays or Thursdays around 6-7 oclock.

Cool pics, looks like lots of fun Joey! The Roadmaster looks awesome. Could you tell me more about the white fixie in this picture by any chance? I'd really like to know more about it.

1zf4pc9.jpg

Unchained said:
Cool pics, looks like lots of fun Joey! The Roadmaster looks awesome. Could you tell me more about the white fixie in this picture by any chance? I'd really like to know more about it.

1zf4pc9.jpg
ditto!

Latest posts

Back