Roadmaster build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building a 52 Roadmaster rat rod and I'm looking to switch out the bottom bracket and headset. I believe the bottom bracket measures 2" and the head tube measures and 1 1/4 . What would you guys suggest for the headset and the bottom bracket crank set up?

20201006_131207.jpg

Nice one! In my experience any BB of that standard would fit, just make sure to put enough spacers under the sprocket to set it off the frame. Of course if we talk durability, try to get sealed 90's BMX set, but if looks is what you are after you may as well just clean up, grease and restore some old 2nd hand ball bearing set.
For the headset you have less options, since there are not so many different 1" 32,5mm headsets out there nowadays. Most probably you'd get an older model one or have to customize it yourself. There are options of getting a NOS or reissue Schwinn headset if you are going to convert to threaded, but for the thread-less option you'd be looking into older BMX bikes again.

Nice one! In my experience any BB of that standard would fit, just make sure to put enough spacers under the sprocket to set it off the frame. Of course if we talk durability, try to get sealed 90's BMX set, but if looks is what you are after you may as well just clean up, grease and restore some old 2nd hand ball bearing set.
For the headset you have less options, since there are not so many different 1" 32,5mm headsets out there nowadays. Most probably you'd get an older model one or have to customize it yourself. There are options of getting a NOS or reissue Schwinn headset if you are going to convert to threaded, but for the thread-less option you'd be looking into older BMX bikes again.
Awesome reply , thanks basically any threaded headset that fits is what I'm looking for LOL

Awesome reply , thanks basically any threaded headset that fits is what I'm looking for LOL
Then you may buy a new one from Amazon or Ebay, or get a used one :) Just make sure it mentions 32.5mm cup diameter if you want to make sure it would fit. There are at least three different 1" standards, so you are looking for one commonly used in older cruisers and BMX, basically the American standard. The European road bike 1" is more common these days but it won't fit.

The chainstays are flat and the forward facing dropouts aren't 52 CWC Roadmaster. Seatstays are straight also. It's a cool frame, I just don't know what kind. The guard and chainwheel are Roadmaster though. I wish I had that frame.

Actually, while the experts are out IDing roadmasters, perhaps someone can supply some info on mine.

Don't think anything's original to the bike, except maybe the fork, but I don't know.
20200521_180729.jpg

I say it's a cwc roadmaster because of the badge (which may not be original)
20200430_091659.jpg

I guessed 1939 because of this page from the cwc roadmaster catalog from '39 I foundonline. But dating stuff is not really in my wheelhouse.
1939 roadmaster cat pg18.jpg

1939 roadmaster cat pg1.jpg

It's entirely possible that I've asked about this on RRB before and completely forgot I did.

Your bike is mid 37! B is the earliest production after the prototypes and setting up the work flow. Only A, Z and XX are earlier, and usually those numbers are stamped in a more messy way.
Really cool one! I don't think the fork is original either, but i can't tell for sure.

Starnger is the Roadmaster master
Ha-ha, i'm just an enthusiast gaining knowledge on this topic while restoring mine :) I am working on it for less then a year, and i believe many of those who are into CWC bikes for longer are way more knowledgeable :) I don't even live in US and have never attended one of those swap meets. All the info i have access to are the photos online and other peoples posts. To really know the subject i should have went through the piles of parts! :)

1954 Roadmaster Flying Falcon.
Hey buddy I was told the same thing on a Facebook Roadmaster site thank you. I just picked up a 47 Roadmaster today. It has the coil spring but we're the bottom of one of the rods meets the coil spring is broken I have to take it apart I've never had one with the front spring before like that. You should see how I painted the frame on this bike above I'm going to post a new pic of it soon in this thread

Latest posts

Back