Road Master

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks just like Coppertooth! Serial number is pretty close, F96xxx. The paint was sanded away when it was repainted long ago, but I saw part of the white trim on the front fender just like yours. A 46 or 47 model from what I learned here. Looks like the same handlebars, stem, and seat too.

1zx6zc9.jpg

Hmmm... looks like I will be making a drive then. They are asking $125. Does that seem reasonable? Or what should I offer?

Also this is a skiptooth correct?

Yes that bike is skip tooth. As for price, it depends on how far a drive and how well it rides. Warped wheels would lower it considerably. Loose bearings also would be a bargaining point. It looks original, minus chain guard. The rear wheel doesn't look original but hard to tell from the pictures. The seat looks like it has a plastic cover from a newer seat, the original seat may be under there.
If you're getting it for yourself, then compare the cost vs a new bike. I wouldn't let on that you know what year it is. If you're getting it to flip it, there's probably not a lot of profit to be made. I'd offer $80 and work up to $100, but I really would like a CWC with original paint.

Gotcha. It would be for me. Not a flip. I just want an old bike. I have MANY but no skip tooth. All my bikes are newer(ish) beach cruisers and fat tire bikes/trikes/quintikes, lol. My only real concern is my height. At 6'3" many bikes look small on me... not worried about parts (as long as bearings/etc are standard sizes) I can get them cheap. I just like skip tooth, original paint and frame in this case. May even make it a fat tire (4" wide) trike.

Mid 1946 with that serial. The second frame is actually different. They're a good reference of the switch to a deep curve in the downtube taking place late in 1946. Very interesting that the serials are so close, to where you can get very close to narrowing down exactly where the change took place. Coppertooth doesn't have a Cw stamp after the serial does it?

CWC bikes make great riders and they're very solid, well-built machines. 6'3" is on the tall size to fit any of these old bikes but it should feel a little more open than a 60s Schwinn. One issue with the step into skiptooth is the issue of drivetrain wear. All these chains are over 50 years old now, with years of riding on them, and wear on the cog and chain stretch can make for a clunky riding experience if the bike has a lot of miles on it. It may be fine, but just check for shark-toothed sprocket in back. If it's really bad you'll need some part swaps to get a smooth ride.

but just check for shark-toothed sprocket in back.

Are you saying the rear cog gets that shark tooth shape from wear? When I converted my kickback to skiptooth the cog I used had that shape. I thought it was from wear but wasn't sure. I took a chance and flipped it over when I brazed it on the Bendix drive screw. Works fine. Gary

Here she is. Can anyone id the model or give any more info on this? Bearings all seem good, not loose. It rides well. Pedals are a little loose but I think I can tighten them up. How does the rear sprocket look (shark tooth or no)? This is my first skip tooth bike and the first I have seen so I don't really have anything to compare it to. Over all I am pretty happy with it. Will have to get some big balloon tires for it, clean it up, regrease everything and she should be good to go. I ended up paying $100 plus a 60 mile round trip drive. Any idea where to look for seat or chainguard?

It looks like you have the original seat under that new seat top. It's not that hard to repaint and recover a seat. Hang on to that original. Gary

Nice score! I redid the seat on mine, I'll agree yours looks original. And the reflector is good, it's an old one. And from the pinstripes on both rims, I think you have the original wheels. Mine only had the front wheel original, and it had that pinstripe.

Coppertooth doesn't have the Cw after the serial number. As I was researching the other day, I saw where there was some work putting together a CWC serial data base, but I didn't find one. I hope this helps with that.

Here's the chain guard that was on Coppertooth originally, just for reference. And a look at the seat when I had it taken apart:

2r7tvlu.jpg

eq8med.jpg

Last edited:
Any tips on repairing the seat? Also my seat looks slightly different than yours I think. Mine has rivets and clips holding the back outer corners on. I can work with screws and bolts but rivets are more difficult.

I think whitewalls would look best, highlighting the white trim on the bike. My second choice would be cream colored tires.

Not sure where you would find the exact chain guard in the same color, but you could ask in the wanted section here.

It will look good with that big sprocket shined up minus a chain guard.

Maybe you can drill out the rivets and replace them with new rivets or nuts and bolts. Can you post a pic of the seat?

Last edited:
Very, very nice original bike. Please try to resist the temptation to not keep it that way, they are getting harder and harder to find and yours will bake a wonderful reference for someone restoring one. I have double that in my Roadmaster project bike so far and it will never be as sweet as yours.
The rear sprocket is showing some wear I think, but when you have the rear wheel off and regrease the hub get a straight on shot of it... there are still new sprockets to be had for the New Departure hubs, if that is what it is, but the more teeth they have the more $$ they get to be, as everyone wants to gear down these bikes so they can still ride them.
Again, a beauty and a bargain. Congratulations.

Here are the only changes I intend to make (other than a bent back seat post so I actually fit the bike, lol). I am keeping all the original parts if I take them off. I still need to clean it but so far just the tires (orange to match the pinstripe), barefoot pedals, and added foam grips. Of course I had to add a cup holder (beer) and cell phone holder (music).

Last edited:
They are both plated, the back brake arm says "Morrow" in cursive. The arm is chromed as well. The rear hub also has a covered hole for adding oil/lube to the axle. Have any info on them? The bearings in the front are cone shaped with ball bearings in them.

Latest posts

Back