RIP9 Revisited - Time for some new upgrades - redux 2015

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trouble with some of these suspension bikes is the interrupted seatpost, even with a short seatpost you can't drop them and after a couple of pucker moments and getting caught behind the saddle at a bad time on one of my super steep descents(got lucky though), dropped the hammer on a dropper seatpost. Rock Shox Reverb 5-inches of pneumatic fun, the bike was already setup for the intended cables - nice.

IMG_1704.jpg

Remote Dropper Fun Button, luckily already had some wider handlebars to make room for it
IMG_1700.jpg

UP
IMG_1703.jpg

DOWN
IMG_1706.jpg

IMG_1705.jpg

Re: RIP9 Revisited - The final bling

That is cool. And I remember when the Hite Rite was hi-tech.

1_76607688dd1ded4b6d503e7e0a132445.jpg

Re: RIP9 Revisited - The final bling

cman said:
That is cool. And I remember when the Hite Rite was hi-tech.

1_76607688dd1ded4b6d503e7e0a132445.jpg

I had one of those on at least one bike in the 80s maybe even early 90s before suspension, still see them on ebay. Worked great and was simple, wouldn't work on this frame though.

Doing some lightening up in the process;

TruVativ AKA crankset uses the newer, lighter GXP integrated hollowshaft BB 24/36, transferred some steel chainrings I had over
X9 Type 2 rear derailleur & shifter, clutch mechanism gets rid of the chain slap(which is hitting the chainstay underneath) plus has a button lockout when changing the tire
SRAM 1070 cassette 12-36
KMC chain
Jagwire teflon coated shifter cable
Not in pic, Answer Pro Taper 720mm handlebar with 25 mm rise, present bar tapers up too soon towards middle, could never get shifter/brake levers in right spot plus wider is better

upgrade_zpsde049257.jpg

Lousy cell phone pic, never snapped one with a real camera. Anyway these new Type 2(and Shadow+ Shimano) derailleurs are awesome, they are clutched so the chain does not whip around. Even blasting down a rock trail is now eerily silent with only a slight noise from chain on front derailleur depending on which chainring you're on. Glad I waited to switch til they had this stuff. SRAM Type 2 also has a lockout switch to ease in changing the tire. The best advice out there seems to be not to use hollow link/pin chains as they break easily(though that's also true on 9 speed chains), went with a KMC to be safe.

rpi9_upg_zps7374e210.jpg

Latest posts

Back