BO15 Retro Mullet Ratpacker - 90’s steel MTB // 2X9 // disc conversion // mullet bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

With my primer job looking terrible, spotty and rough, what should I do??

• Buy another can of the same primer and cover the bare spots

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buy a different (better) primer and spray over the first coat

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Get this puppy sand blasted and start fresh

• Say F it and lay down some paint

• Total voters
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in 1995 I had a steel Gary Fisher Cronus. One of the best hard tails I’ve ever owned and regret selling it. I recently started looking for one but those old steel GFs are hard to find. Ended up settling for a HooKooEKoo from 1997. Not the triple butted true temper steel, but double butted. A bit heavier, but hey, so am I. The frame, fork and some random parts cost me $25 off eBay. It was sun bleached to heck but hasn’t seen much off road if any at all. (First pics are from the eBay add)

I’ve since stripped most of the paint as I have a buddy that’s a frame builder and he’s agreed to weld a disc mount and brace on the back end In trade + beer. May see if he‘ll add a gussett to the down tube for a bit more strength. My plan is to buy a 27.5 steel fork (probably a used Surly) and make this a 27.5 with some big ol fat rubber up front and a 26” back. Anyone have any experience with a mullet bike? Thoughts on how this might handle? Not the type to get all tech on fork trail and rake and all that none-sense. Figure I’ll wing it and hope for the best.

Thinking 1x9 for simplicity but may actually opt for 2x9 so I can do some bikepacking with climbs. I have some parts bin components and planning to pick up some wheels and a few other parts tomorrow from a guy on Facebook. This should be fun. Please give a follow and send me feedback. Thanks!

Attachments

• D01E47DC-56F4-4D71-84AB-1D8DAAD81871.jpeg
    D01E47DC-56F4-4D71-84AB-1D8DAAD81871.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 144
  • 3B6043B6-BAA8-45D8-9A4F-D487965A9084.jpeg
    3B6043B6-BAA8-45D8-9A4F-D487965A9084.jpeg
    404.9 KB · Views: 139
  • E6F65714-27BF-4823-9440-88114493D973.jpeg
    E6F65714-27BF-4823-9440-88114493D973.jpeg
    435.3 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Sounds like an awesome build!! I'm a big Fisher fan

I've never built a mullet, but I used to have a 69'er and loved it. Fast over the rough stuff up front but still quick accelerating out back. Eventually just went straight 29 and never looked back

Sounds like an awesome build!! I'm a big Fisher fan

I've never built a mullet, but I used to have a 69'er and loved it. Fast over the rough stuff up front but still quick accelerating out back. Eventually just went straight 29 and never looked back
Gary came into the shop I worked at during college. Weird... but super cool guy. Loved his story and his bikes since. My regular trail bike is a 29. Figured the 29 up front may make it ride too weird with the mid 90s geometry. It ran a short travel shock, so assume the 27.5 front wheel and fork won’t be too much different. Also plan to shorten the stem and add a modern rise bar for some width.

Gary came into the shop I worked at during college. Weird... but super cool guy. Loved his story and his bikes since. My regular trail bike is a 29. Figured the 29 up front may make it ride too weird with the mid 90s geometry. It ran a short travel shock, so assume the 27.5 front wheel and fork won’t be too much different. Also plan to shorten the stem and add a modern rise bar for some width.

I've met him twice. He's a trip

Sounds like a solid plan. I'd assume you're going for a straight 27.5 fork to keep the fork offset and trail to a minimum since you're adding wheel diameter

Big Fisher fan here myself. Did a tribute rebuild to my 1989 Fisher CR7 a couple years ago for the build off. Will be watching yours!

I like the idea of the 27.5 up front and 26 in the rear. I did a 26 x 4" fattie up front and a 26 x 2.4 in the rear of my Mesa Buggie Wuggie build a few years back. Worked great. The traction and short travel suspension I got out of the fattie tire made for a great ride.

Big Fisher fan here myself. Did a tribute rebuild to my 1989 Fisher CR7 a couple years ago for the build off. Will be watching yours!

I like the idea of the 27.5 up front and 26 in the rear. I did a 26 x 4" fattie up front and a 26 x 2.4 in the rear of my Mesa Buggie Wuggie build a few years back. Worked great. The traction and short travel suspension I got out of the fattie tire made for a great ride.
That’s my thought as well. Big ol fat 2.5-3 ish up front for suspension and low maintenance.

Last edited:
I've met him twice. He's a trip

Sounds like a solid plan. I'd assume you're going for a straight 27.5 fork to keep the fork offset and trail to a minimum since you're adding wheel diameter
Yep. Thinking a Surly fork or whatever else I can find cheap that will fit a 27.5 x 2.8 ish tire. Not sure what offset I need. Any feedback on what I should look for? Will try to go used/cheap but willing to spend a bit if it means a better ride.

@JRobert , I would think that a rigid 29er fork might handle a 27.5 plus tire, at least a 2.8 anyway. The extra height on the crown will help for a taller tire. Depends on your rim width. If you go with a wider rim, like 35-40mm, then it prob won't fit. But a more traditional 23-25mm rim would make the tire taller than wider, and might work.

Surly Grande
Surly Ogre
Black ops
S&M landing gear (pounding beer)

Decent options

Or pony up for some Niner's :happy:

@Captain Awesome and @OddJob thanks for the suggestions! Was thinking there was a 27.5 surly fork but sounds like it’s just 29. Saw one on eBay but it’s cut just a bit too short. Will look at Black Ops too. Familiar with the Landing Gear but will need disc mounts for this build. Sticking to cheap/used and don’t care if it’s hot pink. Ha

@Captain Awesome and @OddJob thanks for the suggestions! Was thinking there was a 27.5 surly fork but sounds like it’s just 29. Saw one on eBay but it’s cut just a bit too short. Will look at Black Ops too. Familiar with the Landing Gear but will need disc mounts for this build. Sticking to cheap/used and don’t care if it’s hot pink. Ha
I'm assuming you have the mtb standard 1 1/8" head set head tube, right? Not the Fisher 1 1/4" Evolution one?

View attachment 122614

Not terribly expensive. I have a 26er on my 1950 CWC from last year.
just looked on Surly and looks like that Bridge Club fork may be the way to go. Will take a 27.5 x 2.8 Which is plenty of tire. Fork is also 1/2 pound lighter. I’m no weight wenie, but if I’m running no suspension, I might as well save some weight

Last edited:
just looked on Surly and looks like that Bridge Club fork may be the way to go. Will take a 27.5 x 2.8 Which is plenty of tire. Fork is also 1/2 pound lighter. I’m no weight wenie, but if I’m running no suspension, O might as well save some weight
Weight weeines count grams... you’re talkin’ a half-pound! That’s a whole gormet burger! :D

Polling the audience here...
Ive ruled out the Landing Gear and Black Ops because they seem way overkill and heavy and don’t offer the mounting options for bikepacking gear.

option 1: Surly Bridge Club fork
Pros
- the axle to crown measurement is the same (420mm) as the Rock Shox Indy XC that came stock on my frame, making my ride height only 1.5” higher with the 27.5 wheel.
- 43mm offset vs. original 38mm is pretty close and better in tight stuff (I think)
- I can use the wheel I have (even though it’s blah) keeping this project’s goal of being low budget
Cons
- I would need to run an old 12mm QR disc front hub
- may Be flexy in the rough stuff
- probably will be hard to find a used one ($125)

option 2: Surly Karate Monkey fork
Pros
- I can run a modern 20mm TA hub
- it’s called Karate Monkey!!
- more trail would in theory be more stable descending, right?
- better shot at finding a used one
Cons
- ride height will be a big ol 4” higher!
- 47mm offset vs. original 38mm will make the steering a bit slower
- will need to buy a new hub. $$
- $50 more for the fork (new)

also attaching a pics of the parts I picked up today for $120!
XT rear V brake, Avid disc front brake, XT shift/brake levers, XT derailleurs, Thompson seatpost (will need a shim), FSA crank, XTR/mavic rear wheel, XT 9 speed cassette, weird Ritchie front wheel and 2 tires.

Attachments

• 31E91F28-7171-41C6-A833-BAC67C48BA8F.jpeg
    31E91F28-7171-41C6-A833-BAC67C48BA8F.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 101
  • EC0D120B-FCD2-4565-9E1B-048D8E308DF7.jpeg
    EC0D120B-FCD2-4565-9E1B-048D8E308DF7.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 99
  • 9E08B09E-E244-4CF4-92A0-F8925EF7079C.jpeg
    9E08B09E-E244-4CF4-92A0-F8925EF7079C.jpeg
    233.1 KB · Views: 100

Latest posts

Back