BO15 Retro Mullet Ratpacker - 90’s steel MTB // 2X9 // disc conversion // mullet bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

With my primer job looking terrible, spotty and rough, what should I do??

• Buy another can of the same primer and cover the bare spots

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buy a different (better) primer and spray over the first coat

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Get this puppy sand blasted and start fresh

• Say F it and lay down some paint

• Total voters
meaning the stuff I used is crap? should I remove that and start over? check out my pole. this hasnt started out well. ha

I'm picky. I'd sand back since that doesn't seem to have adhered. And I only use etching primer

I voted 'buy a different primer and paint over the first primer coat'. But first, sand down the original primer so that it will have a better grip to adhere to. And, I don't ever use etching primer, but I do use Adhesion Promoter right before the primer coat to get better adhesion of the fist coat. Especially on 'slicker' surfaces like my chrome frame / fenders on RaTs GaSs. Or in your case, with the use of the cleaner before paint, it may have caused less 'gription' (that's not a word!~) for your primer to get hold of.

Get a primer that is compatible with your top coat.

I voted 'buy a different primer and paint over the first primer coat'. But first, sand down the original primer so that it will have a better grip to adhere to. And, I don't ever use etching primer, but I do use Adhesion Promoter right before the primer coat to get better adhesion of the fist coat. Especially on 'slicker' surfaces like my chrome frame / fenders on RaTs GaSs. Or in your case, with the use of the cleaner before paint, it may have caused less 'gription' (that's not a word!~) for your primer to get hold of.

Get a primer that is compatible with your top coat.

Thank you! Makes sense about the lack of gription (which I’m fully adopting as a new word). Should I get super particular on the sanding or just get it as best as possible? Should I roll with the etching primer in this case?

I think as long as the primer is compatible with the paint you are going to use that will be okay. Just sand so you take the 'sheen' down on the primer that's on there. Dull it enough to see the difference. 220 grit or thereabouts with light pressure should make quick work of it. Wipe off the sand dust with a dry cloth so you don't have any pimples on the next coat.

I have had my best luck with self etching primer also . I buy the green rust-oleum from Home depot it's under $ 7.00 here .

Same here. Seems to work well even on scuffed surfaces that you don't take all the way back to raw. I also find it works with every top coat I've thrown at it. All sorts of brands

I spray light coats and let it dry for two days before I touch it . I've just used it with a oil based paint with no problems .
g519 paint.jpg

Based on some comments here, I decide to take the frame back to bare. Wasn’t too bad as the first primer really didn’t take.

866A8305-ACFA-42CF-A084-C787F507E1DB.jpeg

Used etching primer from the local auto parts store (green Rustoleum). Covered well and seems to be holding fine. Let that dry overnight and then shot my first coat of the Cream.

2D9A89F2-AB78-476D-91D0-3CC07B244CE7.jpeg

Next I taped off the areas that I wanted to keep Cream stripes on the top and down tubes, seat stays and chain stays, and an oval for the head badge. After about 45 minutes of dry time, I sprayed the maroon. Unfortunately here is where I screwed up. I was supposed to spray the maroon fading away from my taped off cream back toward the seat tube. Oh well. Will adjust. Let that dry for 45 mins and taped over those stripes.

1CEA331D-18FA-47D0-AC40-084EAE61BDE7.jpeg

Last layer for today was the black. One coat on the head tube and rear triangle, 45 min dry time, then a slight wet sand as it had some good texture. Wiped it down carefully and let it dry before the final coat of black.
F89BC3A4-CB56-4D5E-8713-DEF4F7AD5699.jpeg

Came back an hour later and removed all my mask and here is where I’m at. Next step is to mask off the black and the maroon and cream stripes and then lay down two coats of gold on the inner portion of the frame (where it’s currently cream. Final coats mid week.

8AC59704-1DA6-49A9-B1C9-283E460B5BBC.jpeg
C75FC1F3-624D-42B3-B3C1-91C99BD4EA86.jpeg
68AD7354-86F9-400C-9A99-579A3BBEE4F9.jpeg

Attachments

• BF043526-4558-4C8F-9F44-E1BF23CBBBCA.jpeg
    BF043526-4558-4C8F-9F44-E1BF23CBBBCA.jpeg
    293.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 34A502D3-9AFC-4A9C-992C-39A7EB549625.jpeg
    34A502D3-9AFC-4A9C-992C-39A7EB549625.jpeg
    688.5 KB · Views: 68
Thanks guys! The pattern definitely was inspired by some of those old MB-0 and Bontrager frames. Loved them! Im bummed that I screwed up the maroon location though. I really wanted a stripe of cream between the black and maroon. Would have been a more drastic transition similar to the head badge. I suppose I can go back and mask and spray a thin line over the maroon. Just worried that the cream wont cover well on that maroon. Once I spray the gold, I may realize I don’t even want the cream and just keep it a 3 color job.

Love the look of that paint scheme.

LOVE this color scheme!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!
Was tempted to peel off all that mask today, but opted for a quick wet sand of that first coat of gold. Once this storm passes, I’ll add a final coat of gold, fix my mistakes with the cream and then it’s time for clear. Can’t wait to get this baby done!

Latest posts

Back