BO15 Retro Mullet Ratpacker - 90’s steel MTB // 2X9 // disc conversion // mullet bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

With my primer job looking terrible, spotty and rough, what should I do??

• Buy another can of the same primer and cover the bare spots

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buy a different (better) primer and spray over the first coat

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Get this puppy sand blasted and start fresh

• Say F it and lay down some paint

• Total voters
That's going to look great! Isn't painting fun?!? :inlove:

I dont know if I love it or hate it. Ha! I learned a lot doing it for the first time and would be much better off if I had a better set up (something to block wind) and less humidity to speed up drying times.

Hyped how this came out. Just need to touch up two little spots and lay some clear coats.

1597170897208.png

After a month of paint nightmares, I’m still struggling. The gold looked great only to be ruined by me trying to mask it and touch up some black spots that didn’t have great coverage. I repainted the gold and finally started the clear coat yesterday. 2 coats of Spraymax 2K and let it dry for 24 hours. Since the black had some texture, I wanted to take off some of the high spots, so lightly wet sanded with 600. Cleaned it up and had some flaking of the clear on the gold. Great. I also noticed, my black which seemed to have good coverage is now pulling away from its undercoat. Fantastic. I’m beyond frustrated and at the point “just going to get this done”. Cleaned the frame and sprayed another (last) coat of clear. It looks like garbage in my eyes. Some may think it’s okay, but it fails miserably to what I envisioned and for the hours and hours I put into this. I’m now convinced painting is not my thing and I have zero intention on attempting anything like this again. Sticking to original patina from now on.

My plan is to build it as is and accept failure. Once built, I’ll share my final pics, but pretty sure I’m stripping this thing bare and letting it have a natural rust look.

I hate paint.

38994C94-AAC1-4543-8951-0F007656CB5A.jpeg
D682D6B0-9A14-4C8F-8FA2-61A5F3AF5D03.jpeg
F630A61A-A74B-465E-A35C-414004A4221D.jpeg

I get what you're saying about paint, I've been there; visions of greatness, followed by delusions of grandeur, then the letdown sets in. But if you look at page one, the before pics, it's possible that you might still feel it's an improvement.

I get what you're saying about paint, I've been there; visions of greatness, followed by delusions of grandeur, then the letdown sets in. But if you look at page one, the before pics, it's possible that you might still feel it's an improvement.

Improvement for sure, but frustrating beyond belief. I was quite happy with the colors, my masking job, my design and application. I struggled with getting the paint to stick and/or dry. Now I can’t wait to see how messed up this paint gets when I go to build it. I can only imagine what the seat collar and front derailleur is going to do to it.

As mad as I was this morning... I feel much better now! Still not pleased with the paint, but seeing it assembled is a big relief. Still waiting on a pre war Rollfast head badge and a couple other small additions, but it’s 90% done. Thankfully, I nailed the front derailleur positioning on the first try and didn’t mess up the paint any more : )

Final pics +test ride to come later this week.

1DFD2FB9-ABCD-457E-AD45-1FA100C62C3D.jpeg
23ABE9E6-0C23-440A-92DF-97938F16E4F1.jpeg

What he ^ said! I was about to say, "Wait till you get the parts back on it before you get too down about your 'paint expectations'." Then I turned the page, and BAM! There is one gnarly vintage looking mtb staring me in the face!

And as far as photos go for your Finished Thread, you have two great ones above to choose from. That is a vintage mtb look if I ever saw one, and I was riding/racing them back in the late '80s / early '90s when they looked like this. One thing, I'm pretty sure you had a rear rack in mind for this bike packer style ORV. Personally, I would leave it off for the photos. Racks tend to draw your eye too much, and you have a great balance going here. Just my .02 cents.

Legendary Keith Bontrager Race from 1991 .... before he got hired by Trek to design and engineer their line of parts, he had his own mtb line of bikes.
bontrager 1991 frame.jpg

Retro Mullet Ratpacker ..... your 'one off' vintage style mtb, with a few modern upgrades.

1DFD2FB9-ABCD-457E-AD45-1FA100C62C3D.jpeg

'Nuff said. :41:

Looking sharp. Can't even notice the paint issues now that it's assembled.

What he ^ said! I was about to say, "Wait till you get the parts back on it before you get too down about your 'paint expectations'." Then I turned the page, and BAM! There is one gnarly vintage looking mtb staring me in the face!

And as far as photos go for your Finished Thread, you have two great ones above to choose from. That is a vintage mtb look if I ever saw one, and I was riding/racing them back in the late '80s / early '90s when they looked like this. One thing, I'm pretty sure you had a rear rack in mind for this bike packer style ORV. Personally, I would leave it off for the photos. Racks tend to draw your eye too much, and you have a great balance going here. Just my .02 cents.

Legendary Keith Bontrager Race from 1991 .... before he got hired by Trek to design and engineer their line of parts, he had his own mtb line of bikes.
View attachment 134951

Retro Mullet Ratpacker ..... your 'one off' vintage style mtb, with a few modern upgrades.

View attachment 134953

'Nuff said. :41:
Well done!

Leave the paint the way it is, live and learn for next build :wink1: I've fouled up
a few paint jobs myself.

That bad-boy is a real Waffle Stomper!

Latest posts

Back