Retro Direct Beast

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy wanted to set up his beast with a retro direct drive. We also gave his bike an overall facelift.

Here are some pics and a video:
IMG_0062_zps0bbbb64a.jpg

IMG_0061_zps6cac13cb.jpg

IMG_0058_zpsa2ef52df.jpg

IMG_0059_zps8ca1dcd6.jpg

IMG_0060_zpsa6ac7f5e.jpg

IMG_0063_zpsa7af35f6.jpg

IMG_0064_zps841a64bb.jpg

VIDEO:

Last edited:
I saw an original Hirondelle on Ragbrai a couple years ago. I followed the guy up hill. It's very bizarre to watch. I've been accumulating the parts to make one myself. I just haven't decided on the base bike yet.

FYI, there were 4 speed versions. That's where they used 2 chainrings so you got 2 'forward' gears and 2 'reverse' gears. All 4 of which make you go forward, just at different speeds.

If you wanted to get carried away, try to install 2 freewheels on a SA 3 speed hub or use a Schlumf 2 speed crank.

ps, I see the nut welded to the rt droput. Was that for a der?

I do want to get carried away! Ill watch for one of those hubs!

And ya, there was a 6 speed freewheel on this bike for a while. This is the same bike I build up several months ago for a buddy.

Ok, maybe I missed it, how did you attach the outside freewheel?
Looks killer, hope it works that good.

The outside freewheel is attached using a bottom bracket cup that is threaded between the 2 free wheels.

I never realized that a bottom bracket and a freewheel used the same thread size before this build.

Latest posts

Back