Removing this mountainbike wheel from fork

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah maybe its simple I don't know I work on old bicycles not this stuff. I got a Norco VPS launch and it has no wheels. so I needed some, huzza I found the front one!! But theres a fork stuck to it!! i can't figure this crap out lol Everythings loose but it still wont come off!

If anyone here knows how to remove this please tell me lol

Seems like on those old 20mm axles you still had to unscrew the axle from the side IIRC. Check to see if one end of the axle has a big allen wrench opening(both sides may), you may have to tighten the clamping screws up on the other side up a bit then re-loosen after. There were all types of standards back then some were round all the way some the opposite end was hex itself so only wrenched on one side, but usually one side of the axle was a screw cap and if it wasn't off it won't come out.

Theres no allen key place in it, and the caps are unscrewed. I know how to get the wheel off but I don't wanna wreak the fork doing it lol

the axles are the same as a motorcycle. there should be a compression bolt on one side of the bottom of the forks then the axles just presses out.

Its a Spinner "Ammo" DJ fork, I think the axle just drifts out once the bolts are removed but you could do some searching. If it came on a Norco VPS you could look on their site for a manual

Ill take more pics in morning. Maybe theres rust in it? everythings unbolted. I even beat it with a hammer a few times lol. This aint from the norco. I want the wheel for the norco because there was none on it

Sounds like some sort of corrosion, the axle should slide out easy with everything loosened and caps off. If that axle is steel in an aluminum hub and lowers that will be the worst case, galvanic corrosion really tough stuff. Though all the 20mm axles I've seen have been aluminum.

Possibly disassemble the fork to separate the stanchions from the lowers, use the lowers like lever arms to get one side off. The wheel can likely be saved, maybe some bearings though the internals vary quite bit.

I gave up on it for now and started searching for another wheel lol I played with it again today and its really in there

Latest posts

Back