refinishining headset parts?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50F6B7EA-6A4F-4D49-918E-0BCA03243BEE.jpeg
05FEF6AA-2497-442E-B653-F8EB43250E7F.jpeg

This thing looks awful! Any tips on proper cleaning and possible coating/painting?
Also, this may be part of a bb assembly but it seems to fit/replace the piece I lost from my headset. Any thoughts there?

Looks more like it's for a headset because it has the locking tooth on it and I don't recall ever seeing a BB with one, though I certainly haven't seen every BB type. For cleaning it up, I would just use sandpaper. It might be easiest to put the paper down on a workbench, loop duct tape or something under a block of wood with the sticky side out, and stick the washer on that. Then you can sand each side by rubbing it on the sandpaper in a circular motion, which will sand it evenly.

...sand each side by rubbing it on the sandpaper in a circular motion, which will sand it evenly.
Figure eights...I was literally paid to do a study on this :grin:. Figure eights have the most uniform material removal profile.

Figure eights...I was literally paid to do a study on this :grin:. Figure eights have the most uniform material removal profile.
Good info!

Figure 8's make sense since the direction of the movement of the abrasive relative to the surface of the workpiece goes through full cycles, which would tend to equalize the abrasion across the surface. Did you write a report on the study?

Latest posts

Back