Redbird Traveler / Blues Traveler

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
  • I have acquired an 81' Schwinn Traveler from my recently deceased brother-in-law. I've been riding it around some lately and I really like it. So, what to do with it? It's not really the riding position I'm comfortable in though. Having injured my back pretty severely in the past, I'm more comfy on a cruiser, but I don't want to take it that far. I have an old Cannondale Cad2 tourer that I swapped the bars out to a MTB style with extra padded bars ends, and I like it, but I'm thinking of something else. So I ordered some fixie styled aluminums. I also like the red and I'm thinking of a few small finishing details as a tribute to my daughter who is at Illinois State University, who's mascot is the Redbird. So the bars I ordered are red aluminum, and I'll be looking for some more red anodized bits to replace what's there now, and maybe even some red rubber... So a little at a time, I'll be riding it while I'm re-imagining it, tweaking the riding position, and Redbird-ing it up.

Carl.

Last edited:

Bars came yesterday, much more comfy.
Not a perfect solution for the brakes... but they work.
Looking for some nice ones to replace the original Schwinns.
Also been eyeballing some red anodized rattrap pedals.

Went for an early ride this morning, just a shorty to check the riding position. It rides nice. Feels lean even tho I think my old Cannondale is lighter. I think tires are next, I'm looking at redwalls and I'm thinking there is a difference in weight between the all red Duros and anything else. But how much difference will that make in road feel? It's gonna be on the street so I'm probably gonna use liners too....

Carl.

Last edited:
Looks good Carl. But I think I would try to find other brake levers. Those "turkey legs" were really bad news. You would need to keep adjusting the brake to rim adjustment. It I remember correctly they were called safety levers, but they weren't.

Looks good Carl. But I think I would try to find other brake levers. Those "turkey legs" were really bad news. You would need to keep adjusting the brake to rim adjustment. It I remember correctly they were called safety levers, but they weren't.
Yep, I'm looking...
But I don't want random replacement junk.
Schwinn / Dia Compe would be ideal...
and I'm not using the inside handles to brake,
they're even in the wrong position to do so...

Carl.

These generic levers from Velo Orange work well, right price and look good. I use them on my daily commuter. http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/components/brakes/levers/city-bike-brakes-levers.html

Or these Dia Compe levers would be perfect.
http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/components/brakes/levers/br-0024.html

5892935793_03b50459fc_z.jpg

6f59fd7703f7114a78238b20cae5f767.jpg

My suggestion would be to mount your existing levers as in the picture , the "safety levers" are easy to take off from the road levers ( one bolt , couple of washers ) - at least as I remember from the last time I took a set apart .
Plus it's a cheaper fix .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6f59fd7703f7114a78238b20cae5f767.jpg

My suggestion would be to mount your existing levers as in the picture , the "safety levers" are easy to take off from the road levers ( one bolt , couple of washers ) - at least as I remember from the last time I took a set apart .
Plus it's a cheaper fix .

I can't just take the safety levers off, there's an aluminum shaft runs thru the whole handset. The levers do come off but it leaves a quarter inch nub of the shaft hanging out. Now I'm not worried too much about cheaper. I just want reliable and good looking. So I'm looking at options... I do like the guidonnet style, and the ones posted above too. I'm more concerned about the question I actually asked, though I suppose I can look up tire specs and figure it out myself..o_O

Carl.

Well, can't quite tell from the pics- the tires are either 27 1/4" or 700c
With the 27 1/4 sizes and options are limited - but they are available either through your LBS or the web- 700c tires are wide ranging - if thats the size you have check out the freedom thickslicks - the are available as wide as 28c, and the lettering comes in colours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are 27 x 1 1/4 and I've found lots of tires on eBay. Was mostly curious on the difference in feel vs weight if I went with solid red duros. There's also more than a couple companies that do red tires.

Carl.

Last edited:
I have a set of Green Duros on Raliegh Grand Prix. I haven't notice much difference in weight between what was on there to start. but also I'm running 700 x28 on that bike.
Thank you! I was thinking that, I doubted that I could be able to tell the difference. I laugh, I have a friend who thinks he can hear the tonal difference in the :eek: material a capacitor is made of in a guitar... My guess is tires are a lot like that, I believe air pressure would make more of a difference than anything.

Carl.

Thank you! I was thinking that, I doubted that I could be able to tell the difference. I laugh, I have a friend who thinks he can hear the tonal difference in the :eek: material a capacitor is made of in a guitar... My guess is tires are a lot like that, I believe air pressure would make more of a difference than anything.

Carl.
The only time I notice any difference in tire weight is when I ride my racing bikes then ride a mountain or a "ratrod" bike is how slow they are. That is more an function of total wheel weight, bearing quality and how aggressive the tread pattern is and what the frame is made of. When you want a totally light weight tire you need to pay more money for the tire but you do give up on durability of the tire. When I raced I wanted the lightest set of wheels possible, the best tires, but also someone else was paying the bills for those things so it didn't matter to me. Now since I don't race anymore I want tires that last a little longer. Duros are not perfect but they will work.

Like the guitar story. Sometimes I can tell a tube amp from a transistored amp but not all of the time. Or I might tell what string you are using on guitar by looking in your guitar case. If you look at my case you find Martin or D'Addarios. sound of an acoustic is more of a function of the guitar construction (I play accoustics it took me 6 guitars at store to find the one I like) tops, type of wood used. But the strings play a part in sound in the way they are made too.

Last edited:
I get ^ that. ;)
The irony of a cruiser is I could cruise all day on my tourers, but my cruisers are more "lead sleds" than anything else. Likewise, I'm quicker on a Tele than my Alvarez 12 string... But they all have a place. That's why I have so many of each! :21:

Carl.

Cman can't disagree with that. But if want to buy that tire the price is getting close to 50.00 a tire at REI (Really Expensive sporting goods Inc.) But in 27 inch you will be limited in choices. Actually the roads are so bad in MI tire ride quality is the least of my concerns

Mini update... got the Redbird lettering on.

still looking for a full quarter profile Reggie
(ISU's mascot) to go on the white part of the seat tube.
Also got my handlebar tape... pics soon.
Carl.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back