Recommend a Thread Restoration Kit

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am rebuilding a '69 Schwinn Collegiate and the rear axle has some thread problems. If I could buy a new axle I would, but they seem hard to come by, and expensive if I can find one. (If anyone can prove me wrong and sell me one on the cheap, I am all ears!)

Part of the appeal of this project is to increase my meager mechanical skills. To that end, I am thinking about buying a thread restoration kit and giving it a go. Can anyone recommend a kit that you have experience with or know to be of decent quality for a home mechanic? Preferably under $100, thanks!

I can't remember exactly where I ordered my metric chasers, but they weren't expensive and didn't come in a fancy case. In fact, they were in a baggie sent straight from the manufacturer. A thread "chaser" can't cut new threads but are perfect for refreshing existing ones.

They aren't much more than quality nuts with relief notches cut across the threaded face--one could really make a reasonable substitute for a few pennies and a bit of time.

91Nvt6Q-B%2BL._SY606_.jpg

Last edited:
a thread file is a good thing to have in the toolbox too

+1. Thread files can save the day, in the hands of someone who know what s/heś doing.

Otherwise, let us know what hub you have.... in most cases, a new axle is cheaper than the die required to fix the axle would be.

Last edited:
If the axle material is worn away in the area where it attached to the bike frame, it is best to replace the axle. You may still have to use some type of thread die / chaser to repair the worn threads, so that you can unscrew the parts from it.

Latest posts

Back