Recognize this guard?

Discussion in 'BIKE I.D. & VALUATION QUESTIONS' started by ParkRNDL, Nov 5, 2019.

1. ParkRNDL

ParkRNDL

Just bought a Schwinn Whozamawhatsit at an antique store because it had good Stingray bars and stem. Looks like a 24 or 26 inch girls frame with useless no-name 20-spoke 20-inch wheels and a Rainbow Brite seat thrown on it. The guard, however, caught my attention too... definitely seems older than the rest of the junk-pile parts on the bike. Look familiar to anyone?
    20191105_123446.jpg

The whole thing in case you're curious:
    20191105_124218.jpg

rrtbike likes this.
  2. Wildcat

Wildcat

Could be a JC Higgins, but also has the shape of a Monark. On second thought, it's Evans (green bike):

1_802ed14c1a1376bdc828a52acceb153f.jpg

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Grant and RustyGold like this.
  3. late for dinner

late for dinner

Early 60s (62-63?) Schwinn chainring too I believe.

I call dibs on the guard! (Pm me if you'd consider)

Wildcat likes this.
  4. Wildcat

Wildcat

The chain wheel is the Schwinn standard 36 tooth "lucky seven" they had for many years.

5. late for dinner

late for dinner

Thanks Wildcat.
    For as Paul Harvey would say,
    'The Rest of The Story'

6. ParkRNDL

ParkRNDL

It matches the Evans. There's a little recessed area at the bottom just above the back of the chainring. Thanks!

7. ParkRNDL

ParkRNDL

So I backed into the driveway and blew this thing apart before I even took it out of the van. The wife has been giving me the side-eye because I keep trying to get rid of bikes but then more follow me home. So since I played hooky today, I figured I'd take this one apart before she got home from work and then it would just be parts in the basement like the rest of them, nothing to see here.
    20191105_153007.jpg
    As Wildcat said above, the chainring is indeed a Schwinn Lucky 7, and the little 4 1/2 inch Schwinn cranks are dated 1968. Kept them along with the BB bearings and hardware. It also had a Schwinn headset and fork, and though the stem seems to be Schwinn, the bars say Wald. I'm okay with that, they still look better than anything you can get new today. Rims seem useless, but the tires aren't bad and are holding air. Sissy will clean up. Seat is actually junk with a plastic pan, but I may use it to try my hand at recovering a seat. Chain was too rusted to bother with.

I gotta admit, though, it kinda feels like I'm disposing of a body...
    20191105_153026.jpg

rrtbike and RustyGold like this.
  8. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr

9. Grant

Grant

It is a ladies a Varsity with 20 inch wheels! :crazy: I have seen a lot of Varsitys/Continentals. I took one apart with this drivetrain setup. :headbang:
    fcbc13.jpg

ParkRNDL likes this.