Rear wheel help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So need some help here. I am building my build off bike but cant come to a conclusion on what bike tire and wheel to use. I have an idea of what I want it to look like, but need some help from you wide rim guys. I want to mimic this wheel set up...

DSCF4631 by cinco05, on Flickr

I've seen guys use wide rims with 2.125 tires that give that stretch look, I was looking at the felt 24x3 wheel, I was also thinking about an S2 with a quick brick, I even did a search for images of different wheels set ups. I just cant make up my mind. Should I go 24 with a big tire, wide with reg tire, narrow. Also here is the bike with a drop center rim and 26x2.125 knobby WW. Wheel will go on a Schwinn Typhoon and rims will most likely be painted black or could go chrome. Any and all help, links, comment are greatly appreciated.

DSCF5286 by cinco05, on Flickr

DSCF5230 by cinco05, on Flickr

DSCF4536 by cinco05, on Flickr

CIMG2348 by cinco05, on Flickr

Thanks for the help scrumblero. Now I have to decide use a 24X3 on a wide or narrow rim? I like the Felt 50mm but not sure if it will fit.

i dont think the 24x3 on a 50mm rim will fit on that bike(assuming the chainguard is original to that bike) since the typhoons are middleweights....
of course you can always spread the stays and make it work though...

Sensor- What about finding a 24X2.125 rim and mounting a thick brick? I am just confused a little bit, or what about a Felt wheel 24X50mm with a regular 24X2.125 brick style white wall tire? I hate to drag this on and ask so many questions. I manipulating the stays either, is the Felt hub to wide for the middleweight or the rim to wide? Isnt the conversion for 2.125 wider than 50mm?

Once everyone thanks for the help.

well.....you might want to read through this thread since double nickle tried this combo on a middle weight last build off and had issues with fitting them
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=26175&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=120
that was a thick brick on a 24 x 2.125 rim.
easy fix thought just cut out the fender/brake brace and kickstand mount, pull the stay apart until you get about 3 1/8" at the the upper part of the stay and then just weld the kickstand mount back on and make a new fender brace

Sensor- I have said it once but want to say it again...THANK YOU so very much. All the info you are feeding me is really clearing things up for me and this build off bike. You gave me some info on threads I hadn't found in the search.

Latest posts

Back