Rear Hub Decision

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the bike game and have NO idea about which rear hub I should use. Any info. or sugestions are valued. Here are the options available to me:

New Departure Model D

IMG00078-20110223-1703.jpg

IMG00086-20110223-1704.jpg

Bendix (No other Markings so I am unsure of the model)

P2230276.jpg

P2230277.jpg

Bendix (Says Bendix 76 Mexico 7334 on the side with the arm and Bendix 19 Mexico on the cog side)

P2230274.jpg

P2230275.jpg

The real question is: what do you want to use it for? New Departure hubs tend to be more valuable, work well, but have more parts and are more difficult to rebuild. If that Bendix 76 has the knurled body (like a herringbone pattern), it has four brake shoes and is one of the best for hard riding, and is easily rebuilt. If it's got a couple of stripes/grooves around the body, it's an average-good hub, easily rebuilt, and still better than most CB hubs manufactured today.

The ND Mod D is a nice riding hub in my opinion. The first bendix you have pictured looks like it may be a kickback. Are there anything on the body of the hub shell? The automatics had three bands in the shell, red, yellow or blue. I personally don't care for the Mexican built Bendix hubs, that is just me though.

To be honest I really dont know what I want out of the bike. I am very new to the hobby. I plan on riding with my wife and to the store every now and then. I live in the flat-land of New Mexico.

Here are two more pics of the middle hub, I have looked it over pretty well and can find no other markings.

P2230279.jpg

P2230278.jpg

looks like a manual 2-speed bendix, but the hole in the axle looks clogged up with dirt, youd need a cable, shifter and pin (maybe more) to get it running in 2 speeds, easily cost another $50 to get running. id go with the bendix 76 out of the bunch, easy to clean out and regrease those.

P.S. the bendix 19 on the sprocket is just the tooth count.

Rebuild Bendix 76 first, it's easier to overhaul. Then overhaul the ND. Test to see which one has the best breaking. A quarter turn to break lock up is awesome, half turn is good. If you can get a full turn or more, something's wrong.

inshane64 said:
Can someone point me to a guide to rebuilding the Bendix 76? I couldnt find it under the How to section or a general search.

I haven't done one yet as part of my UCB Hub Project, But I think I have one on the bench at home. I will check and if I do I will do a quick how-to on it.

Latest posts

Back