Re: MY FIRST BMX FIND!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It appears to be all original....the tires are so dry rotted.

I'm hoping it's an 80s model bike....it's very very light.

I've looked all over and don't see a serial number anywhere.

dang. my little brother and his friends all had rides like that back in the '80s. i don't think they put a 3-piece crank like that on department store bikes. VERY nice find.

--rick

Looks like it may be a 1984 model.

db.jpg

skoda said:
I can't wait to see it with the "spit shine" treatment!!!

I can hardly wait to start cleaning it..LOL!!!!

From what I can tell....it looks to be in really nice shape under all of the grime.

This find comes with an interesting story....

On my way home from work this evening I decided to swing by the local resale shop to check for bikes. When I pulled up there must have been 80 bikes parked out in front. I thought...MAN!!!!....there hasn't been anything for weeks! I walk up there and there is a rope around the whole group with sold signs all over it. The guy who works there came out and I said...."How long have yall had these?" He responded, "We just got them this morning from the city and we sold the whole lot to the guy who takes them down to Mexico to sell." I thought...dang it!

As I was looking through what was there I spotted the Diamondback and the ARAYA rims and my eyse bugged out a bit. :shock: I quickly went inside and asked the guy if he thought the guy would be willing to sell that bike out of the bunch. He said he had no idea, but he would be there in an hour and I could ask him. Well, I didn't have an hour so I wrote down my name and number and told the guy I would come back up when he got there and buy it from him if he would sell it. The guy said okay, but I had my doubts.

I went home and had dinner and put my girls into bed and I decided to run up to the store to get some milk. It was 8:15 and the resale closed at 8:00. When I was heading to the store I could see the guy's Ford Ranger truck parked out front with all of the bikes piled up in the bed (this was a funny site). I drove in real quick and parked next to him. He had three bikes left to load up and wouldn't you know it....that Diamondback wasn't on there yet. He was tying stuff down and everything!!! He could barely speak English but I pointed to the bike and asked how much. He said..."I'll take $XXXXX." I gave him the cash, loaded it up and drove off with a smile.

He also had a chrome Schwinn rode bike that was starting to pit, but it was buried. Don't worry it wasn't a Paramount...he he.

Great find and good hunting. Sometimes you just throw your name out or call on a hunch that somebody may have mislisted a bike. Should clean up good. Kev might even have to wipe the drool off the keyboard. :mrgreen:

Definatly knew that was an early to mid 80's Diamondback from the first picture! Tried to get diamond forks when I built mine in 87 or 88 and they quit making them! I think it was around this time whem they dropped the diamond from the frame.Awsome find Steve! 8) I'm watching a pair of forks on the bay to put on mine-for the purists! :wink:
L8 EM

NOW WE'RE TALKIN'. :D i was gonna say '84 or '85. looks like Araya 7x rims, Suntour beartrap pedals. do the cranks say Diamond Back on them? give it a bath and shine it up. sweet find.

Are those gumwalls or whitewalls? Seems like alot of those bikes have gumwalls back in the 80s. If you can find some OG grips and tires you'll have it pretty stock.

Ha Ha....don't worry Murray about losing me just yet! :wink:

Yes they are gumwalls...and the tubes still hold air. What I can't figure out is why someone isn't making reproduction gumwall BMX tires these days. Seems like they would sell a lot of them to the vintage BMX crowd. I checked Dan's Comp BMX site and he doesn't sell a single gumwall tire. Let me know if anyone knows of a better source for this stuff.

Rat Rod said:
Let me know if anyone knows of a better source for this stuff.

Hate to say ebay, but, ebay. Of the tiny ammount of BMX stuff I have needed, I have seen plenty o gumwall tires on there and not too ridiculous (compared) to most of the OS BMX parts. Also check the store on BMXmuseum, they don't have tires, but cool other stuff, stem caps, pads, etc. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back