1. We will be upgrading the forum software on Monday evening. During this time the forum may be down for several hours. Thanks for your patience while we do the work!
    Dismiss Notice

Raty, retro, road bike

Discussion in 'ROAD & TOURING BIKES' started by Gdcast, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Gdcast

Gdcast

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    us56456712, Wildcat, Grant and 3 others like this.
  2. wheelbender6

wheelbender6

Nicely done. I am a single chain ring guy, myself.

3. Gdcast

Gdcast

Me too, but the Drelieur was original to the bike and so cool looking I had to keep it.

4. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr

...and yet, no pictures of the drive side of the bike. Don't leave us hanging like that!

5. Gdcast

Gdcast

All pics I have in my phone are from that side, I'll take some more when I get home from work.

horsefarmer and MattiThundrrr like this.
  6. Grant

Grant

How old is this bike? 30s? 40s? 50s? Too old looking for 60s. Wooden wheels? What brand and nationality is it? If younger than 1940, than it is a lower end model. I would like to see a rod action derailleur.

7. Gdcast

Gdcast

Well it´s probably a 50's bike. Wheels? not wooden but steel, painted as if they where wooden.
    I' dont remember the brand on the headbadge, I do remember it's french. I'll check it out tonight.
    Derailleur is not rod operated, it's cable, but bare in mind this is not a resto, I just removed all the plastic I could and put in things I think look close to period.
    The idea was riding Erioca in it, I had everything ready (including the right type of shoes and not those crocs) but just days before I had a bad accident and that went south...

[​IMG]

RustyGold and Grant like this.
  8. Grant

Grant

A rod action front derailleur was from the 30s and 40s. A rod action rear derailleur was from the late 20s to the early 30s. A state of the art bike from the 50s had duel cable action derailleurs and square taper cranks. Stronglight is the way to go with any 50s French build. They invented square taper cranks in the late 20s. Rene Herse was the improved the square taper crank in the 30s. He made it so there were bigger chainring bolts for easier maintenance.

Here is a 50s racing bike with Stronglight cranks and Campagnolo cable action derailleurs.
    IMG_2035.JPG

Here is a 40s bike with a cable action rear derailleur and no front derailleur. It also has cottered cranks.
    1947-Hetchins-300x198.jpg

9. Gdcast

Gdcast

I got into the barn last night and manege to get this pics, Head badge says "Confiance" but I couldn't get any info on it. and the derailleur says "Sachs Huret"...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Grant likes this.
  10. Grant

Grant

How many speeds?

11. Grant

Grant

Sorry, but Huret made the worst derailleurs ever.

Gdcast likes this.
  12. Gdcast

Gdcast

It's all right, I'm not planning on wining the Tour with it, It's just a cool looking bike that turns a few heads, nothing fancy.

Grant likes this.
  13. Grant

Grant

How many speeds does that freewheel have?

Gdcast likes this.
  14. Gdcast

Gdcast

3 speeds

15. Grant

Grant

Get a freewheel where there is a 1 tooth jump on each cog like 13, 14, 15.

16. SpikeFC

SpikeFC

Actually that derailleur is newer than the frame. It has an oiling port in the BB wich suggests a frame from before 1960 (leaning even more to before 1950), and that derailleur is a Sachs Huret from the seventies/eighties. Also not a lot of french bikes had german derailleurs. Original derailleur should have looked more like this:
    [​IMG]

17. us56456712

us56456712

The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
    That Huret is not a horrible derailleur, it is easy to adjust and is reliable. I have them on my current Peugeot and had them on several old Schwinn bikes I had in the 70s (as Schwinn Approved Units). Cheap Campignolo ones from the 60s - 70s were worse, hard to adjust. The plastic Simplex was the worst parallelogram and front derailleur I ever owned. The Simplex plastic disintegrated and caused bad accidents. I had a Simplex front derailleur blow out on me a few years ago because the plastic shattered. They have a shelf and bike life that is way shorter than metal derailleurs. A Huret derailleur has put less people in the hospital than the Simplex so I think the Huret is only the third worst parallelogram derailleur. The Super Champion fork shift and the Suicide rod shifters, well that is another bad category.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    RustyGold and Grant like this.
  18. Grant

Grant

I forgot about Simplex.

19. Grant

Grant

It could also have been a Simplex.
    $_1.JPG

20. Grant

Grant

That derailleur is made in France, not Germany.