Ratty Bike finds. Any ideas what they are?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found these at an estate sale. Any ideas what they could be? looks like there is an old schwinn cruiser all the way to the right hidden. Any of them worth while?
93687046_2534832113435984_9213093763503620096_o.jpg

I looked and thought you were kidding. Here's what I see:
1. A Columbia that looks like original, good paint with crash bars. The seat looks good, that's unusual. Probably a 60's bike.
2. The yellow Schwinn with early springer looks like someone put lightweight wheels on it and made it a 3 speed. Forks look tweaked. Can't tell what year.
3. Raleigh Chopper missing the derailler and seat, but a lot of good parts.
4. Something with a loaf seat and nice sissybar, and some kind of chopper forks, shifter looks good.
5. Flatbar 26" bike, can't tell what brand.

I'd give a big thumbs up on $200. That's a good bunch to work with.

I looked and thought you were kidding. Here's what I see:
1. A Columbia that looks like original, good paint with crash bars. The seat looks good, that's unusual. Probably a 60's bike.
2. The yellow Schwinn with early springer looks like someone put lightweight wheels on it and made it a 3 speed. Forks look tweaked. Can't tell what year.
3. Raleigh Chopper missing the derailler and seat, but a lot of good parts.
4. Something with a loaf seat and nice sissybar, and some kind of chopper forks, shifter looks good.
5. Flatbar 26" bike, can't tell what brand.

I'd give a big thumbs up on $200. That's a good bunch to work with.
Thanks for the info! I'm new to these older bikes. Up to this point I've really only be flipping newer cruisers from the 90's and 2000's.
I'll post an update tomorrow with better pictures, fingers crossed I come home with all of them.

I've been wondering what that bike is with the sissybar.

The bikes all should have serial numbers, probably on the left dropouts. Maybe on the BB of the yellow and black Schwinns. Post those and we can look them up to see exactly what you have.

The slicks on the muscle bikes, choppers would set you back 200 for none cracked ones. Pull the trigger on it, as there is more than 200 there in parts alone. Spend a little time cleaning and tuning and sell one for more than 200 easy.

Here's the update. turns out there were different people running the sale and someone beat me to the choppers. I was still able to score the other 3 bikes for a steal!

Was able to get pics of the serial numbers for the Columbia and the straight bar. But the Schwinn had too much spray paint, it'll require some scrubbing before I can read the s/n.

columbia-side-e1587162118951.jpg

columbia-badge.jpg

columbia-serial.jpg

schwinn-side.jpg

schwinn-front.jpg

worksman-side.jpg

worksman-badge.jpg

worksman-serial.jpg

Last edited:
Nice haul, they oughta keep you busy for awhile!
The Columbia looks great! 1969.
The black bike is a Worksman of course. They don't ID by the serial numbers. But you've got the whole bike, looks like it hasn't seen much riding. It should clean up nicely. It has the heavier forks that I prefer over the tubular kind. Worksman are New York USA built and are known for their heavy duty wheels.
The Schwinn has the big chainwheel that was used on a lot of the older models, 52 teeth. I think it's a late 40's early 50's bike, but that's guessing those those are the right forks. The forks need help, they are bent and are put together wrong, and need the trussrods. But they can be fixed. The chainguard isn't Schwinn. At worst, the frame looks okay. At best, it's a phantom frame and forks. That would be very long odds of that happening. The phantom had a particular paint scheme, that's how many of the old cantilever frames are ID'ed.
1587164448573.png

They used the same frame on the deluxe models as the bare bones bikes. I had a 53 Meteor that was the bottom of the line, but had the same frame as a phantom. I made it a three speed too, but not with skinny tires.
947181_10151716944516737_1545769668_n.jpg

When you check that bike, carefully remove the yellow paint to see what's underneath. That may show what model it is. The serial will be one of two places. Bottom bracket or dropout. I'm pretty sure they didn't sand it down, they painted right over the cranks and everything. The original color is seen inside the frame where the cranks go through and on the upper part of the fork where it goes through the frame.

Last edited:
Im a fan of Worksman, and the Newsboy is my favorite. That tank will roll on FOREVER! We have both styles of Worksman trike at work, and they are SOLID! We don't have that fork on ours, that one is much nicer, but the other style works with the front drum brake, also awesome!

Can anyone explain the bent tubes on the Columbia fork and bars? Some type of bag mount?

Crash bars to mimic motorcycle highway bars. They were an accessory you could add to your bike. On this Columbia, the rear rack was probably added too. Probably at the shop where it was bought new. Mirror and lights were added then also to make it a deluxe bike. The Columbia rear rack is different so it isn't factory but probably was bought new just like it is. I just noticed the rear bumper bar on your bike. That was another extra back in the day. There's a set of those crash bars on ebay:
1587229678643.png

I've always referred to them as parade bars, but I'm pretty sure that is a pretty modern term.

I've seen Schwinn and Rollfast ads call them aerostruts...so I 'spose that is a bit more accurate term.

V700 (2).jpg

As to purpose... I'm fairly sure they are justified by claims of stronger/stiffer/safer like truss rods. More accurately, just another opportunity to add more chrome!

Latest posts

Back