RaTsberry Buffet ....What's cookin' ?....pg 9

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking I should be able to adjust the initial setup at the calipers. Any super fine tuning I miss should equal itself out on the shoes. Plus I ain't racing this thing either, a nice even whoa should be sufficient. I also heat my cans year around they really do just flow better. ;)

Carl.

Frequently we talk about how the quality of the steel or the brazing or welds were so much better back in the day. Or the sturdiness of the frames, and how they have stood the test of time.

Here's one part that is light years better now than the original one that came on my Sears Spyder "RaTsberry" build. The brake lever.

Original on the left, new one on the right.

72853004_785083661910522_4176187935319654400_n.jpg

Much more solid, threaded barrel adjuster, beefy ergonomically shaped comfortable lever, and cast clamp and lever. This design has been around since the '80s, and continues to please.

It's a chilly night out in the BACK40. The 'smoke has cleared' and the parts were ready for re-assembly. Even temps hovering around 35° F couldn't keep me from throwing the ol RaTsberry back together!

I'll get it out in the sunlight tomorrow, but here's a sneak peek from tonight's fun!

20191023_184415.jpg

Last edited:
And here's the bike out in our glorious Fall sunshine this morning. I'm really glad I did the smoked chrome. Very unique look.

RaTsberry final 1.jpg

Waiting on my other brake caliper to arrive. Parts orders go slower this time of year at ye ol' bike shoppe.

So far I haven't done anything with the shifter console since I sprayed it with the hammered silver to match the beverage can bottom with the plastic housing.

Any thoughts on whether to :

A. Leave it like it is.
B. Try the smoked chrome treatment on it.
C. Paint it black to match the seat, frame tips / tails.

A or B, you have no other black parts on the bike. If you paint it black I think it would look out of place.

The smoke chrome parts look good, keep us informed on how well they hold up.

Last edited:
Thanks for your votes. Haven't touched the shifter housing. Tomorrow is the last 50°+ day for maybe the rest of 2019.

I may spray the shift box tomorrow afternoon. In the meantime, I've been enjoying the ride....

20191025_184733.jpg

I know painting the console with the black chrome has it’s challenges, but I think it would look awesome.

Didn’t you say/tell me that it has a crinkle finish only? I think they make a darker steel color in that finish that might be a decent (but not exact) color match

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The good doctor ^ recommended I "take 2 and paint it in the morning".

So I did. Smoked shift box. All matchy-matchy now on RaTsberry. :bigsmile:

Step one, the paint stump in the BACK40.

74624037_407345300183359_10499081914810368_n.jpg

Step 2, re-attach to bike.

73048137_422476061786241_8197273271457021952_n.jpg

73423411_2497087370399480_7287366436706582528_n.jpg

Step 3, :inlove:.

Last edited:
This was my second experience with the Dupli-Color, and a good one again. I have used your warmed can method, especially during these Fall build-offs when temps are lower during the day. Works well.

The split cable will be interesting. Mechanically it should work fine, but the physics might be off unless somehow you get the length of the cables to be exactly the same. I know when it's used in the standard format, two hooked to the gyro pulling one from the brake, it's still critical to get the length adjusted just right at the gyro so it pulls evenly.

In my case, I will have two separate cables from one lever, so I will be able to adjust the tension on each one individually based on the pull distribution by the dual lever. I've never used this set up before either, so it will be an interesting challenge.
I use those teeter-totter dual pulls on many of my motored bikes. The pivoted teeter- totter compensates for any differences and they're a breeze to install.

This was my second experience with the Dupli-Color, and a good one again. I have used your warmed can method, especially during these Fall build-offs when temps are lower during the day. Works well.

The split cable will be interesting. Mechanically it should work fine, but the physics might be off unless somehow you get the length of the cables to be exactly the same. I know when it's used in the standard format, two hooked to the gyro pulling one from the brake, it's still critical to get the length adjusted just right at the gyro so it pulls evenly.

In my case, I will have two separate cables from one lever, so I will be able to adjust the tension on each one individually based on the pull distribution by the dual lever. I've never used this set up before either, so it will be an interesting challenge.
I use those teeter-totter dual pulls on many of my motored bikes. The pivoted teeter- totter compensates for any differences and they're a breeze to install.

Every time I read your threads, I learn something. Great bike, and you beat ol' man winter to the finish line. And I do mean "finish!"
The other brake caliper is due in by the end of this week. So is our first official snow fall. :(

And that will need to be put in the 'smoker' for the treatment as well; but it's so small, I could make a small cardboard tent in the garage after I heat it up to 50 degrees, and get it done.

Then hope for one sunny, semi-warm day in November, and get some 'finished' photos!

Thanks for checking in, SD!

My other brake caliper came in this morning, so I hustled all of the one mile over to the shop, picked it up and got it smoke chromed today in my garage.

Here's a vid from this morning....

RaTsberry final 2.jpg

Latest posts

Back