RaTs GaSs

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OddJob

Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
Final Final Photo.jpg

RaTs GaSs (RG) is a gasser bike build inspired by the gasser drag cars and the spectraflame paint models of the Hot Wheels line. It's also Rat Fink inspired with it's goofy graphics, eye catching Metalcast paint job, funky headers, and hot rod style.

The street across the pond from the BACK40 bike shed, the birthplace of RG, was newly paved last week. Yesterday, with the sun at it's highest peak in the sky, I ventured out to a few photo op locations. After sorting through dozens of shots, this one came out the winner. With a little added 'fade', appropriate for the paint on this bike, you have the Final Photo, the laSt gaSp of RaTs GaSs , built by OddJob, RRB Build-Off #15.

Here is the build thread for RG if you want to check in on any of the process and step-by-step info.
https://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/rats-gass-el-fine-pg-25.110959/
It all started with inspiration from my youth and my experience using Metalcast Smoke paint on my RaTsberry Buffet muscle bike build last Fall. Cars and motorcycles often give us platforms for ideas on themes or styles that we would like to emulate in our rat rod bike builds. I've always loved the gasser cars, and thought it would be a challenge, and fun, to try and build a gasser bicycle. Here is a collection of photos encompassing some of the highlights on the RaTs GaSs build. Enjoy!

FT 8.jpg
finished thread 13.jpg
FT 16.jpg
FT 7.jpg
20200505_142052.jpg
FT 15.jpg
20200521_191405.jpg
FT 14.jpg
20200521_191446.jpg
FT 10.jpg
FT 11.jpg
FT 12.jpg
FT 6.jpg
FT 9.jpg
FT 4.jpg
FT 5.jpg
Finished thread 2.jpg
FT 2.jpg
20200505_142106.jpg
finished thread.jpg

Ride video:

FT 3.jpg

Attachments

• Finished thread1.jpg
    Finished thread1.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
I see the gasser in it for sure and really dig the paint job. I cant paint a simple small part for mine. That is also my favorite chainring. My only question is does it wheelie really easy from sitting so far back?

I see the gasser in it for sure and really dig the paint job. I cant paint a simple small part for mine. That is also my favorite chainring. My only question is does it wheelie really easy from sitting so far back?

JP, no wheelies yet! It's fairly long in the wheel base, so it would take some pulling to get the front end up. I'm at the stage in my life ( read: old ) where I try to keep the rubber down at all times on my bike rides! :bigsmile: The paint was really fun!

Great job! It was cool seeing you have fun with a "shiny" build and it coming out so nice. Tons of neat details. You really captured the gasser vibe! congRATulations!!!!

Great work comes out of the back 40 again! I used to love how the gassers jiggled at slow speeds in the staging areas, due to the solid front suspensions. Your solid front fork probably emulates that: if it doesn't jiggle a bit, add some air! If you ever decide to give a rat's gass, I'll take it!

Great job! It was cool seeing you have fun with a "shiny" build and it coming out so nice. Tons of neat details. You really captured the gasser vibe! congRATulations!!!!
Thanks man! It was a real 'gaSs ' building it!

Great work comes out of the back 40 again! I used to love how the gassers jiggled at slow speeds in the staging areas, due to the solid front suspensions. Your solid front fork probably emulates that: if it doesn't jiggle a bit, add some air! If you ever decide to give a rat's gass, I'll take it!
Thanks , it does jiggle a bit through the bumps! Some of it is the skinny front tire too, but even though it jiggles and hops, it is solid and can be 'stood up' and pushed when needed.

It turned out great! I am in awe with the paint and love the details.

When are we going for a drag race? :thumbsup:

BRE, your track or mine? Thanks for the props! I'm very happy with the final result.

That is nuts , how did I miss this being built , oh yeah I was in the shed rubbing fibreglass down mostly. But yeah it's mental , love it !

Other than that goofy looking graphic on the clear panel, you did a fantastic job.:bigsmile::wink1: I had my doubts of it actually resembling a gasser, but you nailed it!

Do you think you can outrun Top Fool?

Other than that goofy looking graphic on the clear panel, you did a fantastic job.:bigsmile::wink1: I had my doubts of it actually resembling a gasser, but you nailed it!

Do you think you can outrun Top Fool?

Thanks man! And thanks for your contribution to RG.

I remember two odd things about drag racing those Mopars.
1. they found that your best ETs were achieved by revving the engine high in neutral, then pressing the drive button when the light turned green, and
2. for some reason, the rear lifted at launch!
Fun to watch.

awesome. I loved all those ratfink and hotrod CarToons when I was a kid. that turned out great. I wish I had the vision to design something that cool.

View attachment 132996

RaTs GaSs (RG) is a gasser bike build inspired by the gasser drag cars and the spectraflame paint models of the Hot Wheels line. It's also Rat Fink inspired with it's goofy graphics, eye catching Metalcast paint job, funky headers, and hot rod style.

The street across the pond from the BACK40 bike shed, the birthplace of RG, was newly paved last week. Yesterday, with the sun at it's highest peak in the sky, I ventured out to a few photo op locations. After sorting through dozens of shots, this one came out the winner. With a little added 'fade', appropriate for the paint on this bike, you have the Final Photo, the laSt gaSp of RaTs GaSs , built by OddJob, RRB Build-Off #15.

Here is the build thread for RG if you want to check in on any of the process and step-by-step info.
https://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/rats-gass-el-fine-pg-25.110959/
It all started with inspiration from my youth and my experience using Metalcast Smoke paint on my RaTsberry Buffet muscle bike build last Fall. Cars and motorcycles often give us platforms for ideas on themes or styles that we would like to emulate in our rat rod bike builds. I've always loved the gasser cars, and thought it would be a challenge, and fun, to try and build a gasser bicycle. Here is a collection of photos encompassing some of the highlights on the RaTs GaSs build. Enjoy!

View attachment 133005View attachment 133016View attachment 133015View attachment 133004View attachment 133014View attachment 133012View attachment 133022View attachment 133011View attachment 133009View attachment 133008View attachment 133007View attachment 133010View attachment 133003View attachment 133006View attachment 133001View attachment 133002View attachment 132998View attachment 132999View attachment 133013View attachment 132995

Ride video:

View attachment 133000

Great to see another drag inspired bike. Great job!

Your creativity always amazes me !! Your builds are always unique and really well done :cool::rockout:

Your creativity always amazes me !! Your builds are always unique and really well done :cool::rockout:

Thanks Scribbs! Being a part of this build off with other creative folks like yourself, really gets the juices flowing, if you know what I mean! We feed off each other's inspiration and ideas.

No mistake what your ride is all about. Not many gasser bikes in existence. The headers are grooovy!

The videos are great because we can see the bikes in motion at different angles. Mechanically solid as well.

Fantastic :cool2:

No mistake what your ride is all about. Not many gasser bikes in existence. The headers are grooovy!

The videos are great because we can see the bikes in motion at different angles. Mechanically solid as well.

Fantastic :cool2:

Thanks for the props! I'm a big proponent of ride videos because they bring life to our builds. I'm as big a fan of function as I am form.

Latest posts

Back