BO15 RaTs GaSs...Great year all!...pg 26

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
" Keepin my thread alive, keepin it alive, oo- oo- oo keepin alive!" ~ to the tune of "Stayin Alive"

More work on Tel-Lee Barncaster. Got the neck pocket routed, sanded down the edges of the top cap and body so they match up all the way around, and the neck arrived! Santa, Santa was here!
View attachment 130984
View attachment 130985
View attachment 130986

All the parts are ordered, and in true OJ style, I'm going with relic hardware (think rat-ina). Sgould be here by a week from today.
Nice surprise around 1pm today, wgile I'm working in the garage, I hear a familiar tune....View attachment 130988
Of course I got my favorite...

View attachment 130989

And the trailer got done, just in time to move my son's couch this afternoon.

View attachment 130990
View attachment 130991

“All flavors and PUSH UPS too.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That stRATivaryus is looking sweet!

I won't belabor this guitar build on this thread, but maybe just two more posts.
Got some of my 'relic' (guitar term for rat-ina) hardware in today, did some of my own aging / worn look on the parts that came chromed and shiny.

Also added my favorite Zinsser Amber shellac to the white natural maple neck. A little yellow aging.

Guitar will be headed for my guitar tech buddy's bench in a couple days, once I finish the body work. He will wire it up, check the frets, and give it his stamp of approval. Then I will glue the top cap on, and it will be time to take it for a test ride.

20200802_143642.jpg

20200802_143656.jpg
20200802_160244.jpg

I use a mixture of muriatic acid and hydrogen peroxide to create a bubbling caldron of relic / rat-ina goodness. These tuner hole bushings used to be bright chrome. Here's a short vid of the provess at work. Takes only about 5 mins or so.

20200802_143743.jpg
20200802_205052.jpg

Last edited:
RaTs GaSs update. Out for a spin tonight on RG. Gets cat calls and wolf whistles everywhere I go. And that's just from the guys.

Stopped by my buddy Raj's place. He's 1/3 of the instrument repair crew at the music store (brass and woodwinds) and lives just a few blocks away in our Highwood 'hood.

He's diggin' the bike. Fits him well.
20200803_183955.jpg

What is the sign with the ratty trike in the background?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

What is the sign with the ratty trike in the background?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Andy, that's his advertising for his Woodwinds and Brass repair business. He, like me, does independent repair out of his home besides working for the music store. And like me, he digs old stuff and bicycles. He's trying to figure out how to make room in his garage for RaTs GaSs...
:grin:

WOW. Life got busy and I haven't checked in for a while. What a great looking ride. Filled out the theme perfectly.

I vote for a chamber in the collector to hold a smoke bomb!

It's pretty hard to emulate a car using a bike, unless you use parts from the car. I think you did a great job making this actually look like a Gasser.

So, over the past 6 yrs of my involvement on this forum, I'm sure some of you have gathered that along with bicycles, music is a big part of my life. It started early, taking up the violin at age 9 and singing in the church kids choir. At age 17, my brother and I (he was 14 at the time) took our one and only guitar lesson from the local rock star, and the rest is history.

This past Tuesday, the trio I play in, HIGHWOOD, recorded a live gig on our back patio. We had a socially distanced crowd of around 25 in the 'near40' of our backyard and deck, and a few across the pond as well. Neighbors as far as a block or so away said they sat out and listened in their own yards!

That recorded gig will premier on Youtube Sunday night, August 9, 6 pm Central Time. If you want to hang out with us, and listen to some tunes by classic bands from the '60s and '70s for an hour, tune in to Youtube at that time. If you search my Youtube channel, Lee Swenson, you should be able to find it. Or just return here and click on this link. (I hope this works!)

Just a little background music while you work on your builds....

I know there is such a thing as 'hammertoe'. Maybe Big Daddy was trying to tell us something?

RaTs GaSs GlaSs ...... the LaSt step!

Last Fall during the Muscle Bike / 20" wheeled build off, I got to know @Psychographic a bit during convos related to our builds. This Spring, once the BO #15 got underway, we were soon back at it exchanging ideas and tips on my insights related to the 'mechanics' of a bicycle and his specialty, custom painting and graphic design.

I was able to help out with some specific bike parts that would work with Cyrus ( hot rod trike build) and in return, he said that he would like to paint up a tank insert for RaTs GaSs. I had made two of the acrylic inserts for RG, in case I broke one of them, so along with a couple specialty bike parts, I shipped the clear acrylic one off to Dave.

Last night I came home to a very cool surprise sitting on my front step! As I broke the seal, I recognized the handwriting on the card board protective padding....

117221195_2695744357365081_5038313225311863330_n.jpg

I popped it open and found this!

117184086_658349498364290_2114989050472607078_n.jpg
117310710_326849765165452_4839914559572562469_n.jpg

It really catches the light on the 'hand turned' gold leaf in person! And I really dig the flame design too. I asked Psycho a couple questions about the A/RG designation this morning, and about his process in making the panel. What follows are his insights, and some process photos along the way.

"
It's been a long time since I've followed drag racing, so I'm not sure I'm 100% correct on this.

The letters represent weight and class. IIRC the designation for the lightest Gasser was A/Gas. Most of the cars had the lettering on the glass. If anyone who knows old time drag racing sees that along with all the other cool stuff you did, will know it's a Gasser Bike.

As for the gold, that is 18k Lemon Gold Leaf.

To apply it you paint the surface with Gold Size, which is an amber tinted clear of some sort. If you look, the can also has 3 patches of Gold Size on it. I am using a quick size which will be ready in 30-60 minutes, but has a short working time. A slow size takes about 24 hours to set.

P7220381.JPG

Using the 3 patches on the can,,,,,,,

After 30 minutes I check the size on the first patch by touching it with my knuckle, it should stick slightly, and pull away without any sticking to me. If it's good, I apply the leaf. I use patent leaf with the about a 3" square of gold, lightly stuck to a piece of tissue like paper. Gold leaf is EXTREMELY fragile, you can blow on it and tear it to pieces. I place the sheet over the Size and lightly rub the back to help it contact the Size. Repeat until everything is covered. I then try to spin the gold ( more on that in a bit), if it tears the size was still too wet. If so wait another 10-15 minutes and try the next patch. If it tears again, Repeat with #3. By now it should be ready.

You can see a sheet of leaf in the upper right.

P7230382.JPG

Using a soft make-up brush, I brush the excess gold off. Such a waste!!:(:happy:

The make-up brush on the left. My spinner is on the right. It's a piece of dowel this a notch filed around it, and drilled for a smaller rod to be the handle. The end is cushioned with cotton balls, then wrapped in velvet, and held in place with a rubber O-ring that fits in the filed groove.

P7230383.JPG

Now it's time to spin the gold. I do it by hand, putting slight pressure on the gold. The velvet actually polishes and leaves micro fine scratches that catches the light .

P7230384.JPG

The gold is adhered very well, but easily scratched, so I clear it as soon as possible, about 6-24 hours later.

Then it's time to brush in the black.

P7230388.JPG

This was the first time I had to mirror an image on something clear, it was a bit of a challenge making sure both sides lined up. "

So there you have it. This is just another example of the sharing of skills, ideas, tips, and general 'good will exchange' that we all experience on this forum~!

Now, it's time for your input. Below I have three options; keep the yellow stained glass panel, replace it with the new clear / logo panel, or use both of them in the tank insert area.

Here are the photos, cast your votes!

117236041_1472208603167228_4055759753544751673_n.jpg
117236041_1185890018446760_8745365162944656801_n.jpg
117626431_2608842202712299_5637288239640163656_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back