RatRodRower

Jul 10, 2015
614
1,542
Berlin
www.graedel.de
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys! I was and still am not able to build a bike this summer/winter because of various reasons, covid beeing one of them...
But feeling that I need to build SOMETHING and also be able to work off some tension and in the same time work out, I decided that it was time to start a new project...
While working on a cruise ship ages ago I used to work out on the rower a lot, and after I recently saw one of this wood built water rowers at a friends house I thought that it should be possible to build something likes this by myself...
I did some resarch and stumbled on a project called OpenErgo. There it was, a rower made out of wood with some bike parts. And quickly I also found a smaller, more apartment suitable version of it on this site.
So I went down to the basement searched through the bike boxes, looked out for suitable pieces of wood and took out my Ikea scraps...:
IMG_20201106_210026619.jpg

IMG_20201106_210047902.jpg

IMG_20201107_130212901.jpg
 
Jul 10, 2015
614
1,542
Berlin
www.graedel.de
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I tried to create a system with some shifter sprockets to make the thing chain driven, but it only worked when the machine was put into a vertical position. As soon as I placed it back on the floor, gravity was pulling the chain out of the sprockets...
As I fast really frustrated I didn't take any pictures besides those two...
IMG_20201107_205544340.jpg

IMG_20201108_130538577_HDR.jpg
 
Jul 10, 2015
614
1,542
Berlin
www.graedel.de
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the chain system did not work, I had to switch plans and get rid of the sprockets. I brought the wheel to a bike shop, as I was missing the proper tool to take the casset of the freewheel hub, only to find out that they could take it off, but only with the free wheel unit.
IMG_20201112_200913107.jpg

So I had to come up with my own tool to get the sprockets of...
IMG_20201112_195820090.jpg

I soaked it with WD40, screwed the largest sprocket to a piece of railing an used brute force and the law of the larger lever...
IMG_20201112_200802956.jpg

And back on:
IMG_20201112_201001855.jpg
 
Jul 10, 2015
614
1,542
Berlin
www.graedel.de
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This weekend I finally found some time to continue. So I cut several shorter pieces to replace the wooden parts in the front and the back and tried to construct the footrests.
IMG_20201114_165410055.jpg

IMG_20201115_101531746.jpg

I even manged to use the pedals of an old therapy trike (donor for the next summer BO) ;-)
IMG_20201115_102001734.jpg

IMG_20201115_142757611.jpg

IMG_20201115_142807881.jpg

Oh, and I also slotted all the Ikea parts that hold the hubs and also the railing that holds the wheel.
IMG_20201121_161706470.jpg

This is the before picture, complety forgot to take the picture after all the slotting was done. The slots are way to wide, but with some larger washers it works..
IMG_20201114_173826973.jpg
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Captain Awesome
Jul 10, 2015
614
1,542
Berlin
www.graedel.de
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Done (almost):
IMG_20201115_170222768.jpg


Still ToDo:
  • Change footrest (looks nice but needs a different aproach)
  • Some rubbery stuff needs to go underneath to stop it from wandering
  • brake/resistance system (I'm thinking adjustable magnets....)
  • (maybe rise the front hub a bit higher)
  • Paint
 
Jul 10, 2015
614
1,542
Berlin
www.graedel.de
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This weekend I started with a plan that lead me into failure, but ended with a success....
So here's what happened:
I started by cutting up some plastic tubing and countersinking the larger holes in the metal band.
IMG_20201121_153906982.jpg

Then I used the small pieces of tubing as spacers to mount the metal band to the rim with the self drilling screws.
IMG_20201121_154232406.jpg

IMG_20201121_154254939.jpg

IMG_20201121_161547659_BURST001_COMP.jpg

Then I mounted some of the magnets to the derailleur, using a piece of a plastic fender.
IMG_20201122_124004281.jpg

IMG_20201122_124020372.jpg

The derailleur was then mounted to the railing.
IMG_20201122_123611016.jpg

IMG_20201122_123557252.jpg

This was the setup I had in mind from the beginning on and at first it seemed to work fine, but as soon as the magnets got close enough to the rim, the complete setup started to bend and the magnets pulled themselves firmly onto the rim. That was more breaking power than I intended... :mad:
So a new plan had to be made...
 
Last edited:
Jul 10, 2015
614
1,542
Berlin
www.graedel.de
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the adjustable setup proved to be unstable I focused on making a fixed setup. A first attempt made me realize that the metal band wasn't really necessary as I felt that the main pull came from the screws and the band was to uneven to get the magnets really close enough.
IMG_20201122_132706140.jpg

So I got rid of the band and screwed in the screws only with the spacers. This was a very good decision as like this I can adjust every single screw if it sticks out too much.
IMG_20201122_140515725.jpg

In the final setup I managed to build in 3 magnets close enough to make the pull recognisable.
IMG_20201122_153404480.jpg

 
  • Like
Reactions: Captain Awesome
Jul 10, 2015
614
1,542
Berlin
www.graedel.de
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Afterthoughts and ToDo:
As much as I like the sound, the machine is really loud (probably due to the magnets) and the resistance is not adjustable. So I'm thinking of a different setup, maybe with a tyre and a dynamo and putting adjustable pressure onto it....

So still on my ToDo list:
-fixed parking position for the seat when the machine is stored in upright position
-paint
-system for adjustable resistance