RaTornado... Tank fab!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: RaTornado...More light mods and custom valve caps!

MrLeghorn said:
I like how that light turned out, I had originally started to play around with turning a plastic salad dressing bottle into a headlight. The bottle had a lot of interesting texture to it and I thought it would look cool when painted. Maybe I spend too much time with my head in the fridge! But the gatorade bottle works and looks good.
That repair stand is very creative and has given me some ideas. Congrats, your bike is looking sweet! :)

Thanks I actually got the repair stand idea from this wall hanger idea I found on the web:
http://kylethewilson.wordpress.com/2012 ... ke-hanger/

I just had the hospital table from a trash find and it was adjustable height so I mounted it to that.

Big news update! I hate waiting on parts, still waiting on my tires. :| :cry: Once they come in I can get the rims painted and call this one finished. Knowing me I'll skate in under the deadline and the paint will still be wet. :mrgreen:

Budget review:
$75.00 ...........................Bike & Delivery
$34.24 ...........................New Tires
$20.00 ...........................Paint, Clear coat, & Stripper
$10.00 ...........................Handlebars
$08.00 ...........................Kickstand
$01.99 ...........................Flashlights
$00.75 ...........................Air in the tires
----------------------------------------------------
$149.98 ..........................TOTAL

Everything else came off of bikes that I parted out and made money from or found in the trash so they were free. Still skated in $10 cheaper than a Walmart Huffy!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Huffy-Pana ... r/23267965

Honestly I think this is the most I have spent on a bike this year! :mrgreen:

thebigorangecat said:
It's dangerous to add up costs on a build, lol
Yeah, but this bike I am building for me. I just put a ridiculous price tag on it if someone asks, my problem is normally someone pays it. I don't care about the cost I just want a kick butt bike on a budget.

I got my rims painted today so they will have sufficient dry time before my tires come in tomorrow, here's a sneak peek, I wanted to mimic the look of fire and smoke damage, I think I pulled it off nicely, sprayed the red then misted flat black over it lightly. Hard to capture the actual look with my cell phone camera but they look great in person. Should look great against the new whitewalls.

Re: RaTornado...Sneak peek of my freshly painted wheels!

Might still add some white pinstripe to the wheels too. What do you guys think?

thebigorangecat said:
Pinstripe sounds cool, are you rebuilding these with new spokes and nips?
Unless something sells no, I might eventually if I find some spokes cheap but not right now. For the money it'd cost for new spokes and nips I could probably get a nice pair of 26" wheels that are brand new and would take fatter tires or a pair of 24's and some 24x3's. Besides these still roll great and have a vintage patina so I'll just finish them off with new tires and some paint for the time being.

I went ahead with the pinstripes, Wanted to do this lightly and make them look old so I put the wheels in my truing stand and with a very steady hand (although not as steady as it should have been) I carefully laid down some paint. Not perfect but it's a rat rod so it doesn't have to be.

Re: RaTornado...pinstripe laid on wheels!

3 wheeled wolfy said:
Looking good!!!

Thanks! This was my first time even attempting to pinstripe by hand and it was the only brush I could find in my junk drawer which was not ideal for the job so I was super nervous. I think it turned out okay but I'm gonna hae to invest in some paint and some real pinstriping brushes so I can try to learn the lost art.

LukeTheJoker said:
Nice job on the wheels! They look really good!

Luke.

Thanks, I think the whitewalls will set this bike off like a firecracker. And the rims match the patina of the bike pretty darn close, close enough to look right at home, so I am stoked to see the end in sight within the deadline. Few curve balls through the build but so far every one has added to the look of the bike. "Built by a series of accidents". Now if my tires come in tomorrow on time and all goes well it will be finished and I can move on to the photo shoot. I got the perfect location scouted. I've said too much already. :wink:

outskirtscustoms said:
3 wheeled wolfy said:
Looking good!!!

Thanks! This was my first time even attempting to pinstripe by hand and it was the only brush I could find in my junk drawer which was not ideal for the job so I was super nervous. I think it turned out okay but I'm gonna hae to invest in some paint and some real pinstriping brushes so I can try to learn the lost art.

Me too!! Getting my first car soon, so i'll experiment on some bikes.

I love the patina and stripes on the rims!
Nice work!

:mrgreen:

laidbackcool said:
The headlight is WAY cool, and I love the paint treatment & pinstripes you gave to the rims! Goes perfect with the color of the frame!
junknutz1975 said:
I love the patina and stripes on the rims!
Nice work!

:mrgreen:

Thanks guys, this was also my first time using this technique of patina using flat black misted over color. Works pretty good. Kokomo is known as the "city of firsts" so there are LOTS of "firsts" going into this build as I really want to push myself to try new things and learn new techniques. First time using oven cleaner to break down paint, subsequently first bare metal showing bike I have done, first time lacing a "3 leading, 3 trailing wheel" wheel although I didn't use them on this, first time I've ever made a headlight from a Gatorade bottle, first time trying the flat black over paint technique, first time pinstriping wheels by hand, and really the first time I have actually bought tires for a build instead of using something from my vast supply of tires. :lol:

Just called the bike shop and my tires didn't come in today, UPS guy already ran so try again tomorrow... :x

I HATE waiting on stuff.

Nice job on the striping! 8)

Latest posts

Back