RaTornado... Tank fab!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: RaTornado......Rim color poll! VOTE NOW!

I got a little more done while waiting on tires, I didn't like the old headlight, just too big and bulky and the placement distracted the eye away from these awesome bars so it went back to the parts pile. Thanks to "Mr. Leghorn" I got the idea and made my own "Rat style" but a little different from his. Those plastic reflector mounts are good for something after all! The clamp fit the flashlight perfect and then a few screws hold the reflector side to whatever you want to bolt it to...in this case a fender. :mrgreen:

Much better!

painted it chrome then black over it.

Lights off.

Lights on.

I ran out of daylight but tomorrow I'm going to finish it off by covering the rest of the flashlight with a piece of old skinny tire inner tube so the red isn't visible and I don't have to paint the flashlight. :wink:

Re: RaTornado......New light!

Light turned out great.
I vote for primer red rims with your whitewalls.

Re: RaTornado......New light!

kingfish254 said:
Light turned out great.
I vote for primer red rims with your whitewalls.

Now that idea I like! Keeps it rat style, simple, keeps the eye on the frame color, and would look sweet.

Re: RaTornado......showing off

Well I finished off the light with a piece of old inner tube so I didn't turn the flashlight into a sticky mess trying to paint it and all, just slides right on.

Then went out for a ride in this blazing heat to scout locations for a photo shoot when my tires come in and I can call it finished.

Re: RaTornado......scouting location for photo shoot

I also picked up the paint I am going to use on the rims. It was the only can of gloss dark red they had so I am hoping it turns out looking good, if not I'll mist some flat black and used motor oil over it and fake a patina to darken it up to my liking.

Re: RaTornado......Rim color poll! VOTE NOW!

outskirtscustoms said:
I got a little more done while waiting on tires, I didn't like the old headlight, just too big and bulky and the placement distracted the eye away from these awesome bars so it went back to the parts pile. Thanks to "Mr. Leghorn" I got the idea and made my own "Rat style" but a little different from his. Those plastic reflector mounts are good for something after all! The clamp fit the flashlight perfect and then a few screws hold the reflector side to whatever you want to bolt it to...in this case a fender. :mrgreen:

Lights on.

Wow! I love that you found my crazy idea to be useful. :)

Re: RaTornado...There's more than corn in Indiana...wait...no

Very useful! Thanks! Might also make a taillight to match when I'm done.

Re: RaTornado...There's more than corn in Indiana...wait...no

Ok NOW the light is done... :lol: I was bored and just messing around so I took the bottom of the bottle I had cut and I thought it looked like a cool lens so I cut it and fitted it over the cut end and it was tight and fit perfect so here is the finished light!

Found 4 of these dice at a yard sale for a buck so I decided to take two and drill a hole in the one side and press in some valve caps to make...

Custom transparent red dice valve caps!

All together

Oh if you're wondering what the dice are sitting on that is my home made adjustable height repair stand made from a hospital table, old board, roadie handlebars, a junk stem, a bench vise, and leftover blown inner tube to prevent scratches. :mrgreen:

Re: RaTornado...More light mods and custom valve caps!

Way COOL!! 8)

I dig the work stand too. Repurposing to the max! :wink:

:mrgreen:

junknutz1975 said:
Way COOL!! 8)

I dig the work stand too. Repurposing to the max! :wink:

:mrgreen:

That's what Rat Rodding is all about! 8)

Nice stuff, is that the $1 harbor freight light? I absolutely love them, puts maglights to shame.

Well I did a test spot on some random junk with my wheel paint and the paint is not gloss "dark" red, it's gloss "deep" red. I misread the can. It's almost like a fire engine red but a shade darker and with a high gloss to give it that deep look so I will have a little "creative darkening" to do. I misted my test piece with some flat black to darken it up and it is going to look sweet.

No pics for you all yet, I can't build the bike till I get my tires so I must build some suspense. :mrgreen:

3 wheeled wolfy said:
Nice stuff, is that the $1 harbor freight light? I absolutely love them, puts maglights to shame.

It is harbor freight, but I got the two pack for $1.99.

That's them. Do you know if there water resistant at all? I should mount some up.

3 wheeled wolfy said:
That's them. Do you know if there water resistant at all? I should mount some up.
Good question, I don't know. I'd think they are somewhat water resistant but I wouldn't go scuba diving with them. I know mine have gotten wet in my toolbox before and have kept working. I know they are not very impact resistant though. The chrome one I had before I dropped on concrete and it still works but has a short in it so you have to smack it sometimes. :lol: But for the price what do you expect? It costs more to replace the batteries than the light!

I like how that light turned out, I had originally started to play around with turning a plastic salad dressing bottle into a headlight. The bottle had a lot of interesting texture to it and I thought it would look cool when painted. Maybe I spend too much time with my head in the fridge! But the gatorade bottle works and looks good.
That repair stand is very creative and has given me some ideas. Congrats, your bike is looking sweet! :)

Latest posts

Back