RAT / ROD MODEL KIT BASH CHALLENGE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I been on the road; sense Wed. ,,
I get on mine ; soon as return.
I gathered: few things to build
Drivetrain,, before we left out ....
Look for update :
TUESDAY . , :bigboss:

@OddJob
I need the :
Curvette Weirdo.
6804.jpeg
6807.jpeg

Last edited:
@Verrt , the paint is not as transparent as it is on the chromed steel. Still has the sparkle and sizzle, but more opaque painted over the chrome on plastic. It's as good as I expected. Keeper
Nice. It looks really glossy, which is cool.

Baron von RAThofen and his Funfdecker Fokker

My Lil Red Baron model was delivered today. It's a cool snap model, but I'll be using the parts with glue and some frame mods and such. I'm not gonna start any of it until the Fokker model comes in.

20200918_131124.jpg
20200918_131136.jpg
20200918_131141.jpg
20200918_131300.jpg

There's no monster.
I thought you'd get an arm and set of creepy eyes with it.

Like in the drawing

No, that would have been cool, but I knew it was just the model before I ordered it.

Mini-Studebaker Quad

Okay, so, here's the idea I've had rolling around for a while. As some might remember, I took an old roached out 1959 Studebaker Lark that had been rotting in a field for decades, with like a tree on it or something, and chopped and sectioned until I had a one-person pedal powered car.

One of the things I wanted to do was buy a model kit of the same car, chop it down the same way, and make a little version of my pedal car for displaying at car or bike shows. Turns out, only one company has ever made such a model, but eventually, I did find a warped, incomplete kit on eBay for a reasonable price.

My pedal car:
IMG_4266.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

The model as I bought it:
IMG_8972.JPG

IMG_8971.JPG

IMG_8973.JPG

So, I will be chopping it down, and somehow gluing it back up in it's smaller form? Then I'll be putting bicycle wheels under it that I'll probably buy from some toy bikes. After that will be painting it to match, and then seeing about the creature that's riding it? I'm not sure. I'll be winging a lot of this.

Mini-Studebaker Quad

Okay, so, here's the idea I've had rolling around for a while. As some might remember, I took an old roached out 1959 Studebaker Lark that had been rotting in a field for decades, with like a tree on it or something, and chopped and sectioned until I had a one-person pedal powered car.

One of the things I wanted to do was buy a model kit of the same car, chop it down the same way, and make a little version of my pedal car for displaying at car or bike shows. Turns out, only one company has ever made such a model, but eventually, I did find a warped, incomplete kit on eBay for a reasonable price.

My pedal car:
View attachment 139079
View attachment 139080

View attachment 139081
View attachment 139082
View attachment 139083

So, I will be chopping it down, and somehow gluing it back up in it's smaller form? Then I'll be putting bicycle wheels under it that I'll probably buy from some toy bikes. After that will be painting it to match, and then seeing about the creature that's riding it? I'm not sure. I'll be winging a lot of this.

That is so beyond awesome!!!!

Mini-Studebaker Quad

My pedal car:
View attachment 139079
View attachment 139080

View attachment 139081
View attachment 139082
View attachment 139083

Perfect for chopping up!

@gowjobs . Jack is one creepy looking dude! I can see him driving his wagon out of a hollowed pumpkin on Oct 31st!

My Deals Wheels Funfdecker Fokker partial kit arrived today. Cool to see that it was a cardboard box from Parent's Magazine Young Model Builders Club. I never saw a kit boxed this way before.

20200919_144955.jpg
20200919_145008.jpg
20200919_145025.jpg

Next I needed to get a feel for how to two scales of these kits will play together. As I expected, the Lil Red Baron kit is definitely a little smaller scale. That will work great for the engine swap. I already know that I will be stretching the front frame in front of the firewall to accommodate the hemi and pipes. The body of the Baron looks to be pretty close to the same width as the car cockpit. The wings may be a little oversized, but these types of models are supposed to be a bit cartoonish, so I'm not worried. If I need to I know I can trim them down a little. I am pleased with how my mind sees these two kits meshing together.

20200919_145039.jpg
20200919_141737.jpg

@gowjobs , is Jack a scratch built creation? Don't think I've ever seen the creature before.

@gowjobs , is Jack a scratch built creation? Don't think I've ever seen the creature before.
He is a resin-cast garage kit that I bought years ago. I will look up the sculptor's/caster's name and edit this response later.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back