Rat Rod high wheel????

Discussion in 'BUILD CHALLENGES' started by Junkhunter, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Junkhunter

Junkhunter

Leave me alone.....I'm thinking........ 11880943_10207411995882016_792600975_n.jpg

2. SSG

SSG

This is a project I've had rattling around in the back of my head as well. The tire and the spokes are the only parts I haven't quite figured out how to come up with on the cheap.

GuitarlCarl likes this.
  3. Junkhunter

Junkhunter

Truthfully, there's not a lot that could be done. Except for the front wheel and hub part.One problem is these parts are expensive. Especially the older original stuff. I can get spokes. i can probably roll the rims. RBR makes a bike that wouldn't be terribly expensive. I see broken ones occasionally. not too expensive. i'm knocking some ideas around. It's tough though...

kingfish254 likes this.
  4. Falstaff

Falstaff

I can imagine one of these being built with a solid tire, like the kind on wheelchair wheels.
    That material is sold in rolls, just have to build a wheel. Possibly using a green machine hub.

Or maybe build a smaller version with the green machine hub laced to a 29" rim, and a 12" wheel out back.

5. pick

pick

Very Cool idea! Watching.....

6. Junkhunter

Junkhunter

Well I know these guys around here to know whatever it is with these guys around here it has to have a tank on it. Have you ever looked at a "King" high wheel? or a "star". I brought this thing home the other day. It's a kind of lever drive built on a road bike. Takes away the necessity for a round crank with conventional pedals. DSCN0758.JPG DSCN0764.JPG

7. kingfish254

kingfish254 CHECK OUT MY SALE THREAD FOR COOL STUFF! Pro Member

This is gonna be fun!

8. johnp.smith

johnp.smith

Rbr makes a smaller 28 inch wheel version. They are kinda fun to play around on and really inexpensive

9. Wildcat

Wildcat

If you can make the wheel, maybe make it offset like the Ingo bike, only on the front wheel. Then there's no cranks to worry about, just solid mounted foot rests.

[​IMG]
    That would probably qualify as rat. :bigboss:

10. Falstaff

Falstaff

I've thought about building an ingo style scoot, but I don't know if the frame was mild steel or spring steel.
    I'd think mild steel would break after a while.

11. deven_science

deven_science

I've had a 36" Coker Wheelman wheel hidden away for a couple of years now, intending to make my own Ordinary. I just don't know when I'll get the time or motivation to do it.

GuitarlCarl likes this.