Rat Rod Blades Challenge 2021 - Build thread

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished
Old Uncle
final pics.

79525EA6-A76B-41FC-89A8-BB235BC1AE1D.jpeg

DF36ADA7-6BA8-4C9A-94EF-D9C366DF908C.jpeg

71B2632F-7F10-430B-AEFE-69288EF02D98.jpeg

And here is starting photo
D7B561FE-8DED-456F-A9B9-1BF6B2527A87.jpeg

It’s been fun, y’all. I learned a lot here and am happy with the result. Keep those entries rolling in.

I just found this competition. I have never made a knife but I have been flintknapping for many years. I might have to give this a try. This Egyptian Gerzean knife was a combined effort from two friends of mine. They are very good at what they do. It's made from India Fancy Jasper and moose antler.
Gerzian knife 6.jpg
Gerzian knife 7.jpg
Gerzian knife 3.jpg
Gerzian knife 5.jpg
Gerzian knife 4.jpg

This one turned out okay. Took about an hour and a half to make. This is a beautiful piece of Arkansas Novaculite that I had been wanting to work. It changes colors many times from one end to the other. Even has some clear streaks through it. Almost 8" long. I guess I should name this blade if I am going to enter it. And figure out some sort of handle.
DSCN1722.JPG
DSCN1724.JPG

I currently live in the rock free peninsula of Florida, so so not have access to flint.
I would like to trade or purchase some small pieces to learn on if you have spares in the bucket.
Many points found in Florida are made from agatized coral. Beautiful stuff, but very difficult to work and needs heat treated to be knap-able. The best "rock" to learn on is glass. Cheap, plentiful, predictable, easy to work, and makes pretty points. Most of the flint I have is Flint Ridge from Ohio which is not easy to work. There are plenty of videos on youtube to help you get started. There are also starter kits available that will include a leather pad, a pressure flaker, a bopper (for percussion work), and some small flakes of assorted flints to practice on. It takes a lot of practice to become competent at it. Here are some examples of what Florida agatized coral looks like:
1618716556174.png
1618716596584.png
1618716615363.png
1618716644890.png

Last edited:
I currently live in the rock free peninsula of Florida, so so not have access to flint.
I would like to trade or purchase some small pieces to learn on if you have spares in the bucket.
I will look to see what I have, but most of my rock is larger exotic stuff that's not easy to work unless you have a lot of experience. The old saying is that "you have to break a truck-full of rock before you get good". And that mostly seems to be true. But you could be making crude points out of glass with only a few weeks of practice. And get a tarp to catch all of the flakes. Be prepared.......it is a very addicting hobby.

Thanks.
glass I can find.
At work we have a bin for broken glassware
I don’t work in the lab any more, but can go grab some bits.
how are Pyrex or borosilicate glass for knapping?
the last thing I need is another addictive hobby. But hey. Life is short.

Thanks.
glass I can find.
At work we have a bin for broken glassware
I don’t work in the lab any more, but can go grab some bits.
how are Pyrex or borosilicate glass for knapping?
the last thing I need is another addictive hobby. But hey. Life is short.
As long as it's not tempered, it's okay. The bottom of bottles are usually thick enough to use. And they come in different colors. You can get started for almost zero investment. Make your own tools. Get a copper nail and insert it into a short piece of broom handle with set screws. That's your pressure flaker. Some sort of abrader to rough up the edge before you take a flake off of it. A broken piece of grinding wheel works well. And some sort of thick leather pad to protect your leg. The thicker, the better. Some people use hand pads made of rubber. There are many techniques you can use. See which one works best for you. Start with pressure flaking to learn about conchoidal fracturing (like the cone when a BB hits a piece of glass). Larger pieces are percussion flaked but small pieces and finish edging are all pressure flaking. Watch some videos on making small points and start practicing. And attend a knap-in if possible, watch others and ask questions. There are a few knap-ins in Florida. The best way to learn quickly is to find someone to mentor you. And be prepared to bleed a lot. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Five days to go on this challenge.

Finish up any work you wanna get done and post your top three final pics in this thread with the word Finished at the top of the post, to be included in the vote.

Deadline is midnight central time, April 30

Latest posts

Back