Rat Rod Blades Challenge 2021 - Build thread

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not even attempted to make a handle for that blade I made. Too focused on the upcoming bike build-off. I am not much of a multi-tasker. But it was fun making that blade. It had been a while since I had knapped anything. I am going to enjoy seeing the finished knives. Good luck to all.

I have not even attempted to make a handle for that blade I made. Too focused on the upcoming bike build-off. I am not much of a multi-tasker. But it was fun making that blade. It had been a while since I had knapped anything. I am going to enjoy seeing the finished knives. Good luck to all.
Wrap some leather round the bottom half and take some nice photos to get over the line. The work that you did so far is so good I bet you'll pick up votes.

Can always finish it up to your standard later and post the end result here, just for oohs and ahhs,

Wrap some leather round the bottom half and take some nice photos to get over the line. The work that you did so far is so good I bet you'll pick up votes.

Can always finish it up to your standard later and post the end result here, just for oohs and ahhs,
Nah. I designed this blade specifically like the ones my friends make (the masters of their art). The shape only allows about an inch to go into the handle. I have some Hawaiian Koa lying around that I could use for a handle, but I just got my 2nd covid vaccine and it's kicking my butt. It will be a few days before I am functional again. I won't enter it, but I will post the blade in the finished knives, but not for votes, just to share with the other makers.

Last edited:
Nah. I designed this blade specifically like the ones my friends make (the masters of their art). The shape only allows about an inch to go into the handle. I have some Hawaiian Koa lying around that I could use for a handle, but I just got my 2nd covid vaccine and it's kicking my butt. It will be a few days before I am functional again. I won't enter it, but I will post the blade in the finished knives, but not for votes, just to share with the other makers.
I'm not sure how many finishers there's actually going to be.

Oddjob is done, Oaktree, and swampthing too. I think that crazy yooper with the rabbit poop glue is finished.

I'm not done, but I'm just done enough to qualify. I can confirm now that workload has gotten crazy enough that I won't have time to do any more on mine. So no leather sheath or fancy decoration. Hopefully I can carve out enough time to take some nicer photos, ie with a real camera and not on my kitchen bench.

Maybe I'll add an honorable mentions section in the voting thread. Not to vote on, just to showcase some of the really awesome work done by the DNFs.

I'm not sure how many finishers there's actually going to be.

Oddjob is done, Oaktree, and swampthing too. I think that crazy yooper with the rabbit poop glue is finished.

I'm not done, but I'm just done enough to qualify. I can confirm now that workload has gotten crazy enough that I won't have time to do any more on mine. So no leather sheath or fancy decoration. Hopefully I can carve out enough time to take some nicer photos, ie with a real camera and not on my kitchen bench.

Maybe I'll add an honorable mentions section in the voting thread. Not to vote on, just to showcase some of the really awesome work done by the DNFs.
Well I just read the rules. This is a "blade" challenge. Nothing says that there has to be a handle. So I could enter just what I have made as a finished blade (which it is). But I didn't take any pictures during the process. I never do when I knap. So, I will sit this one out. No honorable mentions necessary. But I am happy to help anyone learn that might be in my area (central Ohio). Here I am demonstrating at The Ohio Historical Society's Archaeology Day.
IMAG0274.jpg

Last day to post your finished photos and be counted in the vote!
Get em in before midnight US central time tonight!

If you're done already, double check to make sure you've posted your best three photos at the top of your post.

The rule as written is you have to put "Finished" at the top of your post to be counted.
But, because of the number of DNFs, I'm making an 11th hour decision to include anyone so far who's done, but might have missed that detail, or just really looks like they're finished.

Latest posts

Back