Rat bike guys adjustable wrench.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I remember years ago I saw a adjustable wrench that had really thin jaws. I've bought a couple of the "blue handle" bike wrenches, ground down some wrenches. I never have the right one. Sometimes you just need a thin backup wrench in a tight spot, probably won't use that size again for years. Anyone use one of those thin jaw ajustable wrenches? Where did you get it? Any good? I got a grinder and I ain't afraid to use it.

I guess my frustration is I just finished working on a bike, I had nothing that fit to my OCD correctness standard. Made a thin wrench out of yardsale important wrench, a 4 inch grinder and a bench grinder. I'll never use that again in my life, unless I make a wind chime out of it. Of course it's in the drawer now of special tools that I'll never need again, but, just in case...

Screenshot_20200401-010150.png
Now this is close to what I remember, might work here and there. We are getting close.

The blue-handle Park cone wrenches are nice, but pricey. Cheaper are their double-end cone wrenches (blue pic below). There are also other manufacturers of these, like Pedro's. Also, Grand Rapids Industrial Products makes sets of thin wrenches in metric and SAE sizes (red pic below). I'm not sure if they are as thin as cone wrenches. GRIP wrenches are available at Home Depot and, I assume, other retailers. In any case, you do need a full range of sizes or you're liable to get stuck in the middle of a project.
Have fun!

cone wrenches.jpg
grip wrenches.jpg

In 1980 I bought a 1970 Plymouth Barracuda, you Mopar gear heads will know what I'm talking about. The distributor is all the way in the back next to the fire wall. I bought a special wrench to enable me to adjust the timing. Used it about 3-4 times, sold the car a few years later. Never used the wrench again. Going on over 3 decades... Haven't used it in over 3 decades. I bet it will make a heck of a wind chime.

I just picked up one of these off Ebay for $7.00 a wakefeild bicycle wrench
like the ones issued with WW2 military bikes.
View attachment 116695

Jealous! I’m currently looking for some small ‘vintage’ tools to fit inside a faux oil tank.
I’m limited to tools less than 4” long...if all else fails, I can ‘store’ some ‘airline bottles’ of refreshments in there...[emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even our best lbs has made or modified tools. I have never found a tool that fits the lock ring real well on square taper bottom brackets. The lbs welded and ground a hook on the end of a Park bb wrench. That works. I let them finish locking my rings on any bike I don’t want to goober up. I buy thin wrenches at yard sales and grind them to fit headsets, etc. I gave also ground a homemade spanner for slotted lock rings on headsets. Most of what I get at yard sales ends out too small, but they are cheap.

Latest posts

Back