radio flyers custom ones any out there ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are there any new updates on this? I have been looking for a lil red wagon on the cheap forever,and I just can't find myself to buy a new one to hack up. This was a great thread!

I wanted my kids to have a cool wagon so before my 1st was born. I built a 16 ga 304 stainless 4inch to 6 inch tappered tub. Bought a low rider chassis. Van k billet hubs. Douglas racing wheels and firestone sticker tires. This gets alot of looks wherever you go. I CANT LEAVE ANYTHING ALONE.
[/img]

And so it begins again...

I've all but given up very soon about finding a decent pedal car to pimp out for one of my nephews. I'm not willing to pay $$$ for a rusty starter shell.

Well there are two little guys, one about 1 and the other about 2 so they're still small enough I can get away with doing each a mini-wagon at this point. I got both of these 'used' in the same weekend. Amazing what marketing BS tries to pawn off, these are both almost identical wagons. One says Radio Flyer and the other is a Speedway Series, whatever the fudge that is. The chrome/black handle on each is really the only difference here other than that one was used more than the other/oxidiation, etc.

S5000040.jpg

S5000041.jpg

S5000042.jpg

I won't be as extensive with the mods this time. First one is the Speedway series with a 1/4" drop all around (I know, crazy isn't it) drop in diamond plate on the bed, mud flaps on the ground, and a longer t-handle so the tike can actually pull it around at his waist height.

The second one, well, let's see how the first one goes...

Progress update, yep slammed it about 3/16" (it is for a little kid). Got the bed diamond plate cut and just figuring out the T-handle now. I was going to do mudflaps, but I don't want to shift the rear wheelbase on this one...maybe the next one. I think maybe a racoon tail for this one?? Where do I get one from?

S5000047.jpg

S5000046.jpg

Got it done this morning. Lotta fun, not sure how many hours put in, maybe 6-8 on this one?? Turned out pretty well I think. I sewed the tail to itself around the rear axle so it should stay put from abuse. Reattaching the T-handle I was worried about, the aluminum pipe I got was a little bigger ID. I found a self-tapping screw with a flat head to run through the T-portion then sawed off the tip so there aren't any sharp edges. I buffed the bed with my car waxer to bring the paint back a bit, ran some metal polish over the diamond plate and handle, and used plastic renew stuff on the wheels, etc. The handle won't be long enough when he gets bigger of course, but I think we're good for another year. Anyhoo, enjoy.

S5000070.jpg

S5000071.jpg

Scrapin' some ground!

S5000073.jpg

S5000074.jpg

Big brother, little tyke

S5000072.jpg

Got the other one done today, took a little longer than the first wagon. I went the mudflaps route this time. I had to figure out the thick rubber to make the flaps out of, found a brand new $3 doormat Made in the U.S.A. at the dollar store, perfect! The reason it took longer, well, I miscalculated a bit. I shifted the rear axle forward a bit so the mudflap/brackets could mount just behind the wheels. I didn't do a complete mockup before final assembly. Not enough clearance with the flaps and the rear wheels. I had it lowered on all fours by redrilled the holes about 3/16" higher on the brackets, but I wound up having to go back to the stock holes on the rear just to clear the mudflaps. It now has the raked look. Anyhoo, way too technical here I'm sure but a lot of fun again.

S5000082.jpg

S5000083.jpg

S5000084.jpg

S5000086-1.jpg

seeing this makes me want to do another wagon. maybe after i am done with the build off against sensor i have another shell sitting outside, and nice work on those little wagons

Cool looking wagons, everyone!

Here's one that I redid for my son. Paint is House of Kolors Blue Metallic with a silver base. The trailer is an old JD pedal tractor trailer that I converted with parts from Radio Flyer trailer. I masked and painted the wheels. I wanted the whitewall look. By now, the white has yellow a bit due to the clearcoat. I might have to repaint them again, but this time not use a clear coat. All new wood and hardware. Bullet acorn nuts with FORD valve caps.
114_2643.JPG

114_2642.JPG

114_2641.JPG

Here's the rest of my collection of wagons. Most of them I got or found for free on trash days.
110_3852.JPG

Same Radio Jet as above.
116_4314.JPG

A Norge Jet that's rusted out. Good for parts or a planter, hence the potting soil inside.
116_4312.JPG

A 9A Radio Flyer. Also rusted out and good for parts or a planter.
116_4315.JPG

Bought this one for $10 from a guy that also sold me a 24" 50s Hawthorne bike. He put the bigger wheels on it.
116_4329.JPG

This is my swap meet wagon. Bought it at a swap meet a few years ago for $25. It's a 50s Greyhound.
116_4317.JPG

Lastly, I just picked up this 40s or 50s Murray at the Turlock swap meet for $60. It's complete and straight. This one I might restore.
116_4320.JPG

By the way, does anyone know where I can get some replacement tires for the Greyhound and the Murray??? I checked Speedway Motors and they only sell wheel/tire sets.

bikesntrikes said:
By the way, does anyone know where I can get some replacement tires for the Greyhound and the Murray??? I checked Speedway Motors and they only sell wheel/tire sets.

Very nice, so much potential with all those wagons.

I have a set of stock radio flyer (the regular size wagon) wheels brand new I didn't use. $13 shipped.

I picked up this wagon for free on Friday. I was hoping to redo this one next, but ended up giving it to a bodyman over at my friend's body shop in exchange for some minor body work and pinstriping. He was really happy to get a "swap meet" wagon.

This is how it looked when I gave it to him.
116_4566.JPG

And this is how it looked after 5 minutes with a butane torch.
116_4571.JPG

I like the wood treatment look. I told him that he should strip the wagon body and clearcoat it afterwards. Then paint the wheels red.

bikesntrikes said:
And this is how it looked after 5 minutes with a butane torch.
116_4571.JPG

I like the wood treatment look. I told him that he should strip the wagon body and clearcoat it afterwards. Then paint the wheels red.

I like the offroad look there, you should put a skid plate on there, too.

http://www.off-roadweb.com/readersrides ... to_01.html

Picked up two more from CL today.

Both are straight and 99% complete. One is missing a hubcap.
IMG_0004.JPG

Champion brand wagon.
IMG_0005.JPG

Western Flyer Rocket.
IMG_0006.JPG

That rail bar on the Champion is priceless.

Saw this on VWVortex, crappy pic but still:

CIMG3803.jpg

That wagon is cool. Always wanted to build one like that.

The reason why I got the Champion is mainly because of the rail bar. I might restore the Champion and keep the WF as is. I'm thinking about having a friend pinstripe the WF.

Latest posts

Back