RRBBO13 Rad Alert! - Ride video with homemade, custom soundtrack.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ideally I would like to find some heavier duty white forks to use. Keeping my eyes peeled for donor bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B.L.O. is perfect to capture that patina. Great look

bedaa4fa71a4d50cb32db57af7718f76.jpg

Grimey
3a52972caba7cc9d9b1b2ffd810a0ee5.jpg

Crusty

Are you going to keep it grimy and crusty? Nothing says rat like grime and crust!

These are my “before” photos. I like my wheels clean I guess. I haven’t built a true rat yet. I love the rat builds that others do here, but I don’t have many crusty, grimey parts laying around. Maybe next year? Idk.

WOW! That was worth the trouble you are going to be in with your wife! That is one magic toothbrush!!

I forgot to take a shot of the donor rim before I took it all apart and cleaned it up, but here is the after. It looks better now, of course.
0408a9c7ef22dd6084259b59f06f1213.jpg

And here are some spokes I cleaned with steel wool. It’s known in many bike circles that if you place cleaned spokes on bird poop, it wards off bird bombings for a year.
643f7b5d839bcc5ee5948aad6c7bb008.jpg

Last edited:
So I laced up my wheel and because the hub is a little bigger, my spokes are now a little too long. Has anyone ever just filed or grinded down the excess spoke that is coming through the nipple? I was wondering if that would work as long as there are still threads in the nipple. Or should I suck it up and get new spokes that are the correct length?

If you are not planning on taking this wheel apart again, I don't see the problem with grinding / flattening the spoke ends. Get it real true and tight before you do, because loosening the spoke afterwards might be tough; trying to pull that damaged end up into the nipple. Should be able to tighten them a bit though, so some adjustment will be available.

If you are not planning on taking this wheel apart again, I don't see the problem with grinding / flattening the spoke ends. Get it real true and tight before you do, because loosening the spoke afterwards might be tough; trying to pull that damaged end up into the nipple. Should be able to tighten them a bit though, so some adjustment will be available.
That's true. I didn't think of trying to loosen the spoke after. hmm. I'll have to think about this one a little. Thanks OJ

The more times the spokes cross the shorter the spoke gets, so you might try a three cross or four cross lacing pattern?

I thought I was doing the 3 cross. Not sure about the 4 cross. Aren’t many videos on that maneuver.

you can always twist them around each other after lacing it as close as you can , its about -3or4mm per full twist , undo 2 at the time and twist them around each other at the last cross

a other thing that works is tiny washers on the nipples inside the rim

94d37d406ef27e19e9c2575b21a84eae.jpg
patience paid off. The forks I was looking for came in the mail today.

Well, it seems the “white” paint on the frame has yellowed a bit with antiquity. It’s like the old white teeth tissue test. I either have to whiten the paint on the frame or yellow the look of the forks.

Latest posts

Back