Rätte-Hengel...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been really busy with my day job recently and haven’t had much spare time, (and i’m starting to worry about being finished in time...)
But here's a couple little things to share from last week-

Another thick gusset, this will finally reenforce all the tube clusters now and it may even be used to attach the gas tank later(?)

DSCF0028.JPG

And an additional engine mount using the engine's original gas tank tabs in front.

DSCF0029.JPG

But i was advised by some fellows with experience racing these engines that using those tabs for a mount will lead to cracking the case so i revised my plan and came up with this little mount made from angle iron- I think the engine looks better with the tabs removed anyway!

DSCF0037.JPG

DSCF0039.JPG

And finally yesterday afternoon i was able to get back to it in ernest and worked on the seat.

I decided to use the seat i believe may be original to this frame, regardless i think the colors suit it. Also decided to use one of those rear trim rods from another seat, that stuff bends easy and a few extra cracks in the chrome is a good thing.

Welded a big thick tab to the seat post to use as a pivot.

DSCF0033.JPG

Replaced the original seat springs with a bracket made from a chunk of 3/16” bar stock and filed square holes to loosely trap a couple of long cartridge bolts.

DSCF0062.JPG

Added some sleeves (cut from some original 1850’s gas light pipe salvaged from a ceiling restoration project in my old house).

DSCF0063.JPG

The bottom springs are cut from another old seat under cartridge and bolted to the frame (although i think i’ll go back a weld them). And i added one helper (lifer) spring trapped between the original seat post and a 1/2” nut/bolt on the seat stay gusset. My buddy is part of a funny car crew and they replace the lifter springs after every race, and he has given a few sets of these. They fit 3 inside each other so i can stiffen this up later by adding more of the stack if needed...

DSCF0066.JPG

DSCF0065.JPG

Really looking forward to working on it again this weekend!

I see that ALL of the photos i put in the first post have been lost to the Photobucket thing and there doesn't seem to be a way to reinsert them now...

I guess it doesn't matter too much since i'll be continuing to post progress, but here's just a few to help make a little sense of what i had written before...

Chris's original mock up and parts he supplied-

IMG_20150503_153752003.jpg

DSCF0235.JPG

Frame fab’s-

DSCF0149.JPG

DSCF0179.JPG

Handle bars-

DSCF0167.JPG

Fork-

DSCF0002.JPG

DSCF0152.JPG

DSCF0163.JPG

DSCF0180.JPG

DSCF0013.JPG

Thanks for the photo compilation. Brings me up to date. Really like the seat mod. Well done!:thumbsup:

Just catching up super solid build, I can't wait to see it finished.

Love how the seat and fork came out!

Although i have made a lot of progress since i last posted I’m just not going to be able to finish this in time for the contest deadline...

:- (

In fact sadly i’m leaving shortly for a few days out of town. But when i get back i’ll start a new thread in the build section and continue to share my progress on through to completion.

I wish the other contestants the very best of luck and look forward to seeing the outcome!

Thanks,

-Mr. B.

Although i have made a lot of progress since i last posted I’m just not going to be able to finish this in time for the contest deadline...

:- (

In fact sadly i’m leaving shortly for a few days out of town. But when i get back i’ll start a new thread in the build section and continue to share my progress on through to completion.

I wish the other contestants the very best of luck and look forward to seeing the outcome!

Thanks,

-Mr. B.
Sorry to here this. I was looking forward to following Mr. B from A to Z on this build. Give us a heads up when you resume!

Sorry to hear that! I really like where this one was headed!

Latest posts

Back