Quick MTB to BMX/Cruiser build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I’m sure some of you guys are like me and just all of a sudden have an idea for a bike and go for it, even though you don’t have time or need for another.

The other day I sold a BMX number plate I found in someone’s trash for $85. I used that money to buy some parts from PorkchopBMX just to stock my shop. In the parts, along with other stuff, was a pair of handlebars and some green Felt grips. A few days ago I looked at them and had a build in mind.

I bought this old Ross Mt. Washington for $20 a few months back, I have a thing for early mountain bikes and this one had a BMX style fork that I would have paid $20 for alone.

11d494cc87e10a3bf9d98b36be1c3960.jpg

I kinda liked the one piece stem/bars but then again, wasn’t sure.

50b1a32ce51336bfa2db178fc964c5bf.jpg

Either way, I thought I could probably sell them for at least $20.

The bike was complete and original from the original owner sans a replacement back wheel.

I remembered a green saddle I bought on clearance from Nashbar many years ago, a GT BMX stem that was given to me, and a coaster brake wheelset I recently got for free.

Time to start stripping parts.

fd43745c80262f19b665c1365c8232d8.jpg

Hen through the magic of internet I was done a couple hours later. Replaced the crank with a black one and single chainwheel. Some NOS Cheng Shin tires I had laying around for years from the bike shop I closed out along with a NOS Wald seatpost. Random pedals and some extra colored chain pieces.

I also removed the brake shoes from the rear hub and added a spacer to make it a free coaster.

And here it is.

9f9b4b8f40705f65f9bb1816d5969333.jpg

ca29bae420f6fd17abce3a200a4a55a0.jpg

It’s really tall for mount/dismount but once in the saddle it’s just right. Brakes work great, I just have to take the rear hub apart and file down the spacer a bit and grease it up as it vibrates a little during coasting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back