Quick, I.D. help please !!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, this is coming up for auction this weekend. I know its a cleveland welding co. , but I haven't the faintest clue what year, or what kinda max bid I should put on this thing. I tried searching old roads to put a year/decade to it, but i'm not having much luck.
Sorry for the low res. pics, they're not mine.
cwc.jpg

cwcbadge.jpg

Looks like it has a truss rod front end, and possibly a cross-braced set of handlebars. Pic is too fuzzy when enlarged to tell if it's a skiptooth or not. I'm hoping the braintrust of all you cwc owners/afficionados can help me figure how much of my hard to come by dinero I should part with to own it.
Rick

I believe it is Canadian. If you look closely I think you can see "CCM" in the chain ring. No idea as to value, but not too much I wouldn't think.

Hey Crassly, while I agree that the chainring is most likely a ccm piece (which stands to reason, because it's here in Canada) i've never, ever seen a ccm with a cleveland badge. Is old age making my mind play tricks on me, or didn't c.w.c use their initials in a chainring, similar to what c.c.m did?
It's entirely possible that this bike had a crank swap at some point in it's life, who knows?
Which is why i'm asking for I.D. help, right? lol
Rick

Cool original bike. The seat may be worth some money. Probably one of those bikes worth more in parts.

The bike is a badge engineered CCM product.

The Cleveland on the badge is refering to the Cleveland bicycles manufactured by H.A. Lozier before 1900, The H.A Lozier bicycle company was one of four manufacturers that merged to form Canadian Cycle and Motor Company Ltd. There is no connection to the Cleveland Welding Company which did not enter the bicycle manufacturing field until 1935.

Canadian bicycle design followed a different path than that of American manufacturers and the bicycles are harder to date visually. I would say that the bike on auction was probably produced between WW1 and WW2, most likely mid 30’s.

If you have access to the serial number the bike should be easy to date accurately.
There is a CCM serial number chart at the following site:

http://www.drumbent.com/ccm.html

There are collectors that specialize in these models and they are generally larger framed and perhaps better suited to adult riders than most balloon and middleweight American bicycles. In general market terms I think the bike’s current market value falls in the $100.00 to $400.00 range but I doubt it would bring more than something around the $250 mark on eBay.

Phil

Phil,
Thank you, kind sir :) The only cleveland i'd heard about was c.w.c until today. Very informative reply, and ironic also. The site you referred to is run by a fellow (Mark Rehder) from right here in Ottawa, and I already had that c.c.m. code-list saved in my documents. I simply had no idea it was what it seemed to be, the headbadge had me chasing off down the wrong path. :roll:
I'll post more on it, should it become mine come auctions end.
Rick

As soon as I saw your post I knew you were off on the wrong idea. I have an early H.A. Lozier bicycle here,I looked for an hour, but I couldn't find it. The headbadge is made of 4 parts. The top and bottom have inserts, on mine the top has a number 1 and the bottom insert is stamped H.A. Lozier Mfg. Westfield, Mass. Some of these headbadges are Westfield instead of Cleveland. There was a pair of bikes for sale at Hershey this year with this style headbadge.
westfield2.jpg

good luck, looks like a nice bike.

I have a very similar bike, with a CCM badge. stamped serial number dates 1924!

n508265345_2759660_590.jpg

Enjoy.
I hope you get the bike and I am curious to see your pics and your plans for the bike.

sweet bike

there's not alot of info online about ccm bikes (cause its canadian)

i found as a general rule, ccm bicycles dont seem to fetch the high dollar values alot of the american made bikes fetch.

i've had a couple of these old double bar ccm's in the past. never paid much more than $50,(including this one) but these are probably 1940-50's.
IMG_1524-1.jpg

IMG_1527-1.jpg

i wouldn't bid anything over $200, and that if ya have to have it.

Hey all, i've been dealing with the auctioneers who are acting as agents on behalf of the seller, very nice and patient people from the tone of the emails we've exchanged.
Heres their latest reply, which was a few weeks ago;
Hello Rick;

Yes we are the Agent, the reserve is in the "high" hundreds...if you are interested I can ask him for better pictures and a serial number.
It seems as if the seller thinks he's sitting on a gold mine, which is unfortunate. Theres also another local fella who has an old monarch, whos convinced that he has a bike worth 1000's :cry:
All I can do is offer them objective 3rd party opinions (like the ones above) and hope they come around.
As for my plans for the bike? Not certain. Once I have a bike in hand is when I decide what to do, some of them are left in "as found" condition, others get just the basic service (cleaning and lubing) still others end up as full-out customs.
RIck

Demand for bicycles recovered very slowly after 1900. Because many of the smaller makers had gone out of business, C.C.M. became the dominant force in the Canadian industry. The company manufactured many different models under the brand names of the original five companies: Lozier’s “Cleveland” (860187), Massey-Harris’s “Silver Ribbon” (880414), and Welland Vale’s “Perfect” (860186) and “Ivanhoe” (950959).

For more info on CCM check out http://www.sciencetech.technomuses.ca/e ... cles16.cfm

Latest posts

Back