Questions on changing handlebar grips

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife's bike has some hard rubber handle bar grips on it that are fairly uncomfortable to hold onto. I would like to swap them out for some foam ones, like I have on my cruiser. I'm not sure what I need in the way of grips, though, or the best way to take the old ones off and put the new ones on.

So I thought maybe some of the RRB gang would be able to give me some tips before I do anything.

First, what size are the handle bars on most bikes? Her's is a Columbia 10 speed cruiser type bike. I see some grips advertised as 7/8", and others as 1/2", and maybe some other sizes too, so I'm not sure which to get - short of pulling her's off first and measuring the bars - which is probably a good option. I just hate to remove her's until I can get some more to put on it.

The other question is what is the best way to go about removing the old ones - and also installing the new ones. Any special tricks? For removal apply heat to the grips maybe? For installation use water - or some other type of lubricant? Or maybe heat too?

I'm sure some of you guys have done this a million times so if you have some tips on how to make it an easy task, please pass them along. Thanks a bunch. RRD

Grips

Not sure about the sizing besides measuring the actual handlebar.

Grip removal is pretty easy with an air compressor. Just blow through the hole on one side with your thumb on the other. Or place a 7/8" wrench on bar next to grip and tap with a hammer.

I have used wd40 to slide the gripes on. They quit sliding around after a day or so. Dont need much though.

cman, thanks for the tips. I will give the wrench tap method a try and see if I can get one of them off.

If I can get one off I can then measure the handlebar to see what size it is before I buy some new grips for it.

I usually get a really thin long flat head screwdriver and carefully lift an edge of the grip up and then spray WD-40 with that little red tube up in there. I do that on a few sides and then grab a rag and with both hands start twisting the grip back and forth until it loosens up. Usually slides right off atfer that.

RatRodDad said:
cman, thanks for the tips. I will give the wrench tap method a try and see if I can get one of them off.

If I can get one off I can then measure the handlebar to see what size it is before I buy some new grips for it.
hahaha ...I got foam grips!!

I use the wrench and hammer method and it works great!!

*If the grips keep spinning afterwards, I heard that hairspray will keep them from moving.

:D I use an air compressor also but from the open
end .

And to install them I usually just "spit" in them
and they slide on great and it acts as a sorta glue.

They set up faifly fast and you can still remove them
when needed!

Your bars should be 7/8ths and either 7/8ths
or 1" at the stem.

Hope this helps , Vroom

Rat Rod said:
I usually get a really thin long flat head screwdriver and carefully lift an edge of the grip up and then spray WD-40 with that little red tube up in there. I do that on a few sides and then grab a rag and with both hands start twisting the grip back and forth until it loosens up. Usually slides right off atfer that.

that's exactly how I do it as well RR.
A LONG SLIM flat head screw driver is what I use.
I have dulled the head so it doesn't tear.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

I have an air compressor, a 7/8" open end wrench and hammer, a small bladed screwdriver, some WD40, and lots of spit, so I should be able to get the dang things off and new ones on with one of those.

Thanks again.

If you dont need to save the grips use a razor blade and they come right off. Use hair spray to put them back on. Dont use spit for cryin out loud!!!

Willxr415 said:
If you dont need to save the grips use a razor blade and they come right off. Use hair spray to put them back on. Dont use spit for cryin out loud!!!
Spit-that's old skool!

dumpster_diver said:
Willxr415 said:
Spit-that's old skool!

8) Old skool ,your right i grew up in the '60's

it 's worked for me for over 35 years and I have'nt
had a bike explode yet! :lol: :lol:

Lots of great ideas. Thanks, guys.

Hopefully I can get busy this coming weekend and get the old grips removed.

Heck, if I had a clue on what I was doing I might even join the RRBBBO.

Thanks, orbittron. I will keep that bike shop in mind and also the grips you mentioned.

I also found out that there is a bike shop out in my direction - at Hwy 290 and Jones Rd., so I hope to get down and check it out sometime.

When I get down there I will be sure to see if they carry those grips.

Windex works well for installing foam grips, especially the longer "Grab On" type used on roll down handlebars and fitness equipment. You can use as much as you want and it dries pretty quick.

To get rubber grips off, I heat up a pot of water to near-boiling. As soon as bubbles start forming, I dunk the end of the handlebar in for 5-10 seconds. They pop right off after one or two times.

To remove them I lift an edge and blow compressed air in between the grip and handle bar. They blow right off. I use Windex or some type of window cleaner to slide grips on. Its alcohol based so it dries in minutes an also helps the grips stay in place. Check out Bike Nashbar for grips. They carry a leather wrapped foam grip for something like $8.00 available in black and brown.

Grip remove is easy, I use the metal strip off an old wiper blade to slide under the grip then squrit a little water in two or three spots and twist, to put grips on hair spray or a little water will work.

Latest posts

Back