QUADRUPED - WBO 2018 Scratch Built

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I literally have nothing to start with except an idea and these two concept designs...

Quadruped_V1.jpg
Quadruped_V2.jpg

Four side mounted wheels and some square box section steel for the frame.

I suppose I’ll need to start getting some parts and materials. :39:

Glen.

Last edited:
Your concept images aren't showing, but I like the idea.

Designing, building and aligning the drive train is gonna be fun. The front will be worse. I've yet to see a dual steerer with a rake on it work. When you turn the fork it raises one side up in the air... it'll be complicated to overcome that. Yep. Sounds like fun.

Carl.

Designing, building and aligning the drive train is gonna be fun. The front will be worse. I've yet to see a dual steerer with a rake on it work. When you turn the fork it raises one side up in the air... it'll be complicated to overcome that. Yep. Sounds like fun.

Carl.

Not sure what you mean by "dual steerer" :39:

I reckon, when turning left, I'll be riding on the left wheels. When turning right, I'll be riding on the right wheels. When going straight ahead, I'll be on all four wheels. Drive wheels on the back. Braking wheels on the front.

Am I missing something o_O

Glen.

Not sure what you mean by "dual steerer" :39:

I reckon, when turning left, I'll be riding on the left wheels. When turning right, I'll be riding on the right wheels. When going straight ahead, I'll be on all four wheels. Drive wheels on the back. Braking wheels on the front.

Am I missing something o_O

Glen.

When on all four wheels, it'll balance like a car. When you turn a little bit, it will stay on all fours and turn like a car. Once there's enough lean, it will ride on two wheels, and balance like a bike. You'll have to lean your weight the other way when that happens. But, it will work. I'll bet you can easily get it on two wheels with a little lean left or right and ride that way, even in a straight line. That's what might happen.:bigboss:

Sweet design concept.
I like the sleekness of Design 2 better, but Design 1 may be more comfortable.

Your new digs must have a work space...? Glad to see you aboard, Glenn!

Your new digs must have a work space...? Glad to see you aboard, Glenn!

Well, there is a garage. It's no better than the last place and because the house is smaller, there's quite a bit of stuff stored in there making space even less, plus there's no power. But there's a space behind the garage, which strangely does have power, so I'll have to run an extension cord from there out to the garage. I'd prefer not to do welding at a rental property though, so I might see if I can do it at Whare Bike, which is a local cycling workshop space.

Not sure when I'll get started on Quadruped though. Donor bikes are hard to come by here it seems, so I'll have to buy bits and peices as I need them and can afford them.

Glen.

Allrighty then, so I got the steel in a couple of weeks ago and finally made a start on Quadruped.

Front wheels…

01_FrontWheels.jpg

The fronts are going to be brakeless with the brake on the right side rear wheel. Here’s a look at the rear hubs setup on the 16mm threaded rod I’ll use for the axle...

02_RearHubAxle.jpg

Both hubs will be mounted and pinned to the axle so that drive and braking will affect both wheels. Drive on the left wheel, brake on the right.

One of the hubs is 48 spoke but I only have 36 hole rims…

03_RearWheel.jpg

I laced it with 24 spokes and I think it didn’t look quite right with the unused rim spoke holes…

04_RearWheel.jpg

I’ve since added the extra spokes to fill the holes.

Started on the frame too…

05_Frame.jpg

Please don’t get too excited about it though because it might not get done by deadline. I’m going away for Easter so that means I only have until the 28th of March to get it done and photographed.

Will I do it? Stay tuned and find out...

Glen.

I’ve tacked in the head tube and the bottom bracket...

09_Frame.jpg

10_BottomBracket.jpg

And I started on a seat post...

11_SeatPost.jpg

Then I thought about all the work yet to do... and cried a bit.

But there’s no time for crying, there’s work to do.

Tension’s mounting...

12_KeepWatching.jpg

Glen.

@Glen , thanks for making me laugh! I so enjoy your sense of humor.

And, I know you've got a late start, but this build looks really cool so far! I hope you will continue it in a build thread if you don't finish it by next Sunday. Oh wait, that wasn't too much pressure was it? Reminding you that you only have one week to finish this? :bigsmile:

One week! Phhhht, I wish. It's Monday here already and I'm going away for Easter, leaving on Thursday... so I've got 'til Wednesday...

13_Doh.jpg

Glen.

Latest posts

Back