Pure EVEL

Discussion in 'CLASS 1 - MUSCLE BIKE 2019 BUILD JOURNALS' started by Ben lay, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Ben lay

Ben lay

Thank you! Trying to do an obvious Evel bike but with a different twist.

2. OddJob

OddJob

I like the creative touches on the paint and rat-ina.

I'm wondering if you are thinking colored tires for this ? With the 'over the top' attitude of Evel, it might be appropriate. :nerd:

3. Ben lay

Ben lay

I studied colored tires long and hard. I decided black knobby rear white letter tire and a black plain front tire in the interest of a more 70s vibe and at the risk of clashing or becoming too clownish. Red tires would be sexy though.

OddJob likes this.
  4. Ben lay

Ben lay

5. Ben lay

Ben lay

Letting the paint cures up before I can finish wet sanding and clearcoat it all. Meanwhile redoing an old vintage set of mongoose handlebars , and waiting on incidentals like a seat post and a stem and chain. Had to just kinda hand-tight some of it together to take a peek while I wait. Pleased so far. IMG_20191019_191551709.jpg

6. Rust Buzzard

Rust Buzzard

At first I thought this was the finished look. I was like, Wow I really like that!

Ben lay likes this.
  7. Ben lay

Ben lay

I know. The gold star stickers were kinda cool went back and forth on what scheme to do. I'm pleased so far though.

Rust Buzzard likes this.
  8. Ben lay

Ben lay

Stole away a few hours to make some of the Frankenstein parts jive together and paint the last few pieces before breaking it all back apart for grease , clearcoat , etc.
    Switched forks as the stem I really want to use wouldn't fit the other fork. So repainted the new forks white areas and masked the stars for paint tomorrow. ( Blue)
    Ground the drop outs a little to fit the slightly larger mag wheel "axle".
    Prepped the old mongoose bars for paint and painted the center bar red where a small "colour me lucky " evil script will reside before painting the bars gold and clearing all.
    Front tire and seat post arrived
    Off to the bike shop in the morning for some shims to make the bars jive with the stem.
    Just like with hot rods I'm learning that the same applies with these mega fun bicycles I am kinda new to. Find a solution, a hammer, or a grinder , and make it work! All this and snuck in time to clean out the shed , now the yard for the last time, quick four miles on my green cruiser , and dinner with parents. A productive Sunday. Off this week so hoping to make major headway on the Evel bike and maybe start on the Christmas Flyer!

RustyGold, OddJob and Jude Ephesus like this.
  9. OddJob

OddJob

Sounds like a good Sunday! Ben, you must be in the north country as well "The yard for the last time"; I mowed my front yard on Sat for the last time now that all the Ash tree leaves on ours and side neighbor's lawns have all fallen.

The back yard, and BACK40, still have a ways to go.

Looking forward to seeing your stars and 'bars' build in finished form!

Ben lay likes this.
  10. Ben lay

Ben lay

I'm in Kentucky. We get crazy weather. It's getting colder already. Looking forward to finishing it up as well and thank you,!

OddJob likes this.
  11. OddJob

OddJob

We're headed to Nashville and Chattanooga in 3 weeks, hopefully it's not getting too cold too fast in your part of the country!

12. OddJob

OddJob

We're headed to Nashville and Chattanooga in 3 weeks, hopefully it's not getting too cold too fast in your part of the country!

13. Ben lay

Ben lay

I was hesitant to do red bars but pleased with the outcome so far ! IMG_20191029_090902724.jpg

14. Ben lay

Ben lay

Had to loosely knock together some of it just to peek pleased so far. Still a ways to go.

Attached Files:

Jude Ephesus likes this.
  15. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr

Rad!

Ben lay likes this.
  16. Ben lay

Ben lay

Time to organize. Foremost tanker, huffy Camaro, spaceliner , Murray missile , 55 ladies customliner, Chicago cycle supply Cadillac, custom lowrider lucenda and a Sears racer up top, Sears mini bike, kikker 5150 cycle, pork chopper , western flyer convertible , jc Penney adult trike and El Camino tank bike on bottom. Finally got all the racks installed on the two level bike area today. IMG_20191029_172302033.jpg

17. Ben lay

Ben lay

Then organized some more ( gotta make room for a new hot rod in the garage soon! ). Dazed and confused build off bike and mongoose pro lowrider up top, freebie 6 speed tandem, nephews stretch cruiser , and folding bumble bike on bottom IMG_20191029_172322643.jpg

18. Ben lay

Ben lay

Regions cruiser on the stand for a different stem and bars and pure Evel build off bike patiently awaiting more parts , disassembly again, clearcoat etc IMG_20191029_172312601.jpg

19. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr

... but do you have any bikes?

Ben lay likes this.
  20. Ben lay

Ben lay

Never enough