Punk brothers (pair of custom rigid mtbs)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So starting on my two builds for the year.
First up the one that is probably going that is going to be more interesting to people on this forum, a coaster braked mountain bike that I am calling Suspect Device.
The design was inspired by a recent build by BTR.
BTR Klunker.png

The name comes from the classic punk song "Suspect Device" by Stiff Little Fingers

Unfortunately I don't have the money to get a custom frame from BTR. Fortunately there is Marino Bikes in Peru that does custom frames for way cheaper.
https://www.marinobike.com/
I drew out the geo I wanted in BikeCAD
1610831239259.png

I wanted short chainstays to keep it fun, combined with a fairly slack head angle (to keep the bike stable when I come in way to hot from lack of brakes), reach matches my Ragley Big Wig. Designed around 26in wheels and a Identiti Rebate xl fork. There will be an additional tube through the frame for true klunker style.

Parts I currently have. Mone Bikes Coaster Cooler, DMR V12 pedals, a set of square taper Sugino made White Industries cranks, GT Bikes Punk seat, DMR Moto 26X2.35 tires (for the rear, decent knobbly cheap DJ tires to burn up), Planet X bottle cage.

Parts I am going to get. Dropper post, Mone MRB bars, a top load BMX stem, try to find a decent used 26in tubeless front wheel, Indentiti Rebate XL fork, Surly chain ring, Shimano coaster (that will get modified and laced to a Ruff Can 26in rim), not sure what front disc brake, bottom bracket or headset I am going to use yet.

The second bike is going to be a rigid single speed trail bike that is also going to double as a rigid geared bikepacking bike.
This one's name is from the song "Bus Money" by the Chats cause you know I spent my bus money on this stupid bike.

It is designed to run either 27.5/27.5+.
1610842780162.png

Similar design to the previous one but slightly longer seat tube and chainstays. Also this one will be running 148mmx12mm rear sliding dropouts instead of the 135mmx10mm track style. This one is also getting a rear rack mount and an under downtube 3-pack mount.

Parts I have: Some Shimano SLX cranks (that will be stripped down), USAMadeComponents chainrings, Selle Italia Turbo saddle, two boost front hubs (one for a 27.5in wheel set, one for the 27.5+ set), pair of Raceface Arc27 27.5in rims, a TRP Slate T4 4 piston brake (off my main mtb which is getting something more powerful),

Parts I need: everything else including dropper, rear brake, Surly Karate Monkey fork, custom made handlebars by Doom Bars, rear hubs

I mean I am 6'2" and they are both shorter then my main mountain bike which is kind of on the shorter end in reach for an xl hardtail.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
I cannot understand mountain bike geometry. Besides the old ones.
20201227_135917.jpg

Is the front and long so it is more stable when going over rocks and descents?

As I one time rode a bike that was really short and I felt like I was gonna go over the handlebars on rocks.
20200810_090100.jpg

Yeah a slacker head angle make it more stable and the longer reach allows you run shorter stems which keeps you a bit further back in on bike. Both make it a lot harder to go over the bars versus old school geometry.

Imo the only downsides are the front end can wonder a bit easier while climbing but not so much that it is difficult to ride and the longer bikes are slightly harder to get around tight switch backs

Yeah a slacker head angle make it more stable and the longer reach allows you run shorter stems which keeps you a bit further back in on bike. Both make it a lot harder to go over the bars versus old school geometry.

Imo the only downsides are the front end can wonder a bit easier while climbing but not so much that it is difficult to ride and the longer bikes are slightly harder to get around tight switch backs

I don't do much mountain biking I jist mostly do road in gravel cycling but I do mountain bike sometimes to be with a friend of mine who really likes it and has a pretty nice full suspension bike.

Couple times last summer and last fall, I went to a MTB skills park with him and rode my BIGBMX.
20200730_125615.jpg

I also took a couple of rides with him. The red bike is his and that was his mountain bike before he got the full suspension one. The full suspension one is a bike that I rented for 24 hours to do this ride.
20200906_095154.jpg

20200906_105654.jpg

Trying to decide which colors to go with on the bikes. These are their options.
Colors.png

I have red otherwise for the one I am calling suspect device otherwise the parts are silver or black. Trying to decide between the brown, bronzish color or a light grey.

The other bike all the components I have silver or black except a blue Hope front hub so I am trying decide between pink or the pistachio green.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Lol color indecision is one reason why I stick to used bikes. I think bronze could be pretty cool. It takes stones to go pink. The bike better be solid

So bronze was out of stock so the klunker is getting going grey.

I am going to build up Suspect Device first cause I have more of the parts I need already and also a lot of klunking content on Radavist has really been calling to me. Just trying to decide how bling to build some things. Do I use a Paul front hub and Klamper front brake or a Surly front hub and a hydraulic front brake?

Decided I am going to use BMX cranks instead of the old White Industries I have (saving those for another project I have in mind). Waiting for Identiti Rebate XL forks to get back in stock one day...

That is for performance. Steep seatposts and slack head tubes is essentially the new geometry for downhill.
"Steeper angles are more common in bikes designed for a more aggressive, performance-oriented rider position such as Triathlon, Track, and mountain bikes. In particular, progressive mountain bike designs with slack Head Tube Angles are increasingly adopting steeper seat tubes in order to preserve ideal rider weight distribution between the front and rear tires, thus improving handling when climbing."

https://bikeinsights.com/cyclopedia/seat-tube-angle

That is for performance. Steep seatposts and slack head tubes is essentially the new geometry for downhill.
"Steeper angles are more common in bikes designed for a more aggressive, performance-oriented rider position such as Triathlon, Track, and mountain bikes. In particular, progressive mountain bike designs with slack Head Tube Angles are increasingly adopting steeper seat tubes in order to preserve ideal rider weight distribution between the front and rear tires, thus improving handling when climbing."

https://bikeinsights.com/cyclopedia/seat-tube-angle

Yup this. At the end of the day it is getting used as a mountain bike.

Latest posts

Back