proper headset assembly help older bike?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I took apart an unnamed bicycle to clean it up and now am putting it back together. I took pictures of the headset / fork so I knew what order the washers / parts went in, but for some reason its now super rough now when you try to "turn" / spin the fork around.

Do I need to lube up the threads? Everywhere I read said not to do it, but is that for newer bikes? I'm just not sure why its so rough now as It was smooth prior to this.

I'm betting that the bearing cages are installed upside-down.

On one side, the balls are exposed; on the other, they are concealed. Make sure the 'open side' faces the cups, otherwise binding will occur.

Caged-Ball-Bearings-OD-31mm-8PCS-Rear-Bike-Wheel-Hub-Headset-Crankshaft-Pivot-Retainer-Steel-Oversize.jpg

Last edited:
Clean up the bottom race on the fork so it's smooth. Slide the fork in and turn it to check the smoothness of the bottom set of bearings first, before tightening the top nut. Flip the bearings if it doesn't turn freely, check it again, then tighten down the top nut and see if it still turns freely. If not, flip the top bearings over and that should do the trick.

Hey all, I took apart an unnamed bicycle to clean it up and now am putting it back together. I took pictures of the headset / fork so I knew what order the washers / parts went in, but for some reason its now super rough now when you try to "turn" / spin the fork around.

Do I need to lube up the threads? Everywhere I read said not to do it, but is that for newer bikes? I'm just not sure why its so rough now as It was smooth prior to this.

As they are sitting on the photo, the bottom one is ok. But the top one is upside down

Verstuurd vanaf mijn motorola one met Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back