Project 1967 Raleigh Robin Hood

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
I bought this bike for $25 and I'm fixing it up for my wife. Plan to give it a full detail and replace the seat and add some white walls and a cool wooden basket.

Will keep track of the build here.

100_2611.jpg

100_2612.jpg

100_2617.jpg

Mmmmm....a new white seat. :lol:

100_2709.jpg

Should be sweeet when its done. I'm glad you decided not to rat this one. And conversely, you really can't leave it completely stock either.

(whispering voice): I think your chain fell off :D

-Mp

Ha Ha....too funny.

I really wish I could find a nice rear cruiser coaster wheel for the back that would fit these goofy drop outs. They require the axle bolts to be flat on either side like the SA 3 speed hub. :cry:

Hmmmmmm, what is the dimension of the dropout slot? (height, not length)

-Mp

Not sure off hand...I'd have to measure.

I did try sliding the rear wheel off my Typhoon on there and it wouldn't fit. The axle bolts seemed to be just a bit to big to fit.

Rat Rod said:
Not sure off hand...I'd have to measure.

I did try sliding the rear wheel off my Typhoon on there and it wouldn't fit. The axle bolts seemed to be just a bit to big to fit.

like Hooch said.....

and as well..take a look at a newer style
Freestyle/Flat Lander BMX at your Local Bike shop.
you will notice that the new Dirt Jump/Flat Land BMX"s have a HUGE axle
that has a Flat side to fit in the Drop out.
an axle swap is pretty easy if you get one that fits.

or you can Thread a couple of your axle nuts
onto your axle all the way to the bottom
( after you remove it from the hub )

..secure the nuts in a vice with the axle stickin up( then the threads don't squash )..
grab a grinder and take a flat side off of each side of your axle...
try to keep then 180 degree's from each other so they seat in the Drop outs..

then you just unthread those 2 nuts that are in the vice and
they will "Thread Chase" the burred edges on their way out making
the threads usable....

Try it on a scrap wheel first...after taking a close look at a BMX wheel
to see what I'm sugesting...

or see if a BMX axle fits...cheap..and no work!

Kev.

I took a grinder to an axle when I built my wooden bike. Easy mod.

Making a flat on the axle would be my first choice. Junking an axle because of an "oops" is preferable to junking a vintage frame.

The reason I ask about the dropout height is: if you can make the flats on the axle fit the dropout WITHOUT having to grind (or mill) past the inner diameter of the threads, you won't compromise the strength of the axle. If your flat spots are ground down beyond this inner diameter, the axle will be weakened. Should more clearance be needed than removing the thread height will provide, I would then file (carefully) the dropouts.

Clear as mud - right?

-Mp

Thanks guys for the advice.

My biggest challenge is that I don't own a grinder. :x

I'm not sure I'd trust myself with it even if I did.

I need to try the round axle again just to see how close it is to fitting.

Dang English bikes!....everything is weird on them, ha ha.

A good hand file would work too, there's not a lot a of material being removed so it shouldn't be too labour intensive. A grinder may actually be a bit overkill, not that I've EVER removed too much material with one. Nope, never. :roll:

My personal weapon of choice for this sort of thing is a vertical end mill, but most people don't have access to that scale of tool.

What brand of coaster hub do you have? I may have an extra axle I could mod and send your way.

-Mp

Raleighs tend to have the "weird" parts

Is that the English or the Canadian Raleighs? Or both? French bikes have some pretty oddball sizes on them too from what I hear.

I think I was spoiled by my BMX years - most everything seemed to fit everything else.

-Mp

Multipass said:
Raleighs tend to have the "weird" parts

Is that the English or the Canadian Raleighs? Or both? French bikes have some pretty oddball sizes on them too from what I hear.
-Mp

Many older English Raleigh bicycles used 26tpi bottom brackets & headsets (most are 24tpi)...many Raleigh seatpost are 1" diameter (25.4mm) while the other British bikes (including the bikes built by Raleigh but going by another name) used a 1 1/16" diameter (27mm) seatpost.

RatRod, Get a grinder, they are too fun. I like watchin the sparks come off. I think you have Harbor Freight near by and they are a good source for cheap, occasional use tools ( don't buy router bits,Dangerous).

Harbor freight Grinder

i got a 4 1/2 Ryobi grinder at the home depot for like $39 bucks... you can get all kinds of different wheels... grinding wheels, wire brushes, flap discs, cut off discs, etc. it's pretty handy.

grinder

cman said:
RatRod, Get a grinder, they are too fun. I like watchin the sparks come off. I think you have Harbor Freight near by and they are a good source for cheap, occasional use tools ( don't buy router bits,Dangerous).

Harbor freight Grinder

true that cman! i bought a grinder from harbor freight, and i grind every thing just to see sparks haha! no but thats how i striped 99% of the stickers of my RRBBO bike and it was covered with 4 or 5 layers.. its a good cheap tool to have just in case... i think mine was 25 bucks and i use it all the time. for my car and now my bikes.

Latest posts

Back