Prewar Lightning Flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I have looked at this bike at a local collectors house a few times. Each time, I have tried to research the bike and I come up with nothing. Today, he told me that I was the only person that ever even gives the old bike a good look, if I wanted to look at it more, cash would take it home today. SO, now I have it home and could use some help with I.D. It has a Lightning Flyer head badge but a Schwinn sweetheart chain ring. My huge attraction to this bike is that it has no seat post, an open frame design that either is original or was done so professionally that it is impossible to tell that the seat post was ever there. ANY help identifying this bike would be appreciated!

IMG_11381.JPG

IMG_1142.JPG

IMG_11411.JPG

IMG_1139.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Walker, I kept trying to match the drops to a Dayton / Huffman frame. The Colson looks right on, I guess this bike IS an old custom job.

Last edited:
Yeah, the pedals are reproduction... they go for like $40 on eBay.

It's a cool custom. I can see the money there.

It's a cool custom. I can see the money there.

I believe that the Springer itself goes for close to the money that I paid for the complete bike. (although, it looks like they have the upper bars flipped incorrectly) I am really diggin' the whole bike though! Might just customize it a bit more myself.

Interesting bike. Looking at the pictures, it seems like the spring is just for looks. Isn't that a triple plate fork? Probably wrong, it's hard to see in the pix.

No, it is fully functional. I'm sure that it is a Dayton /Huffman piece. The forks are hinged right below the headset.

Latest posts

Back