Prevent Flat Cruiser Tires ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run the tube tire slime in my fat bike tubes. Pulled out a hedge thorn and haven't had a problem.

There are two different kinds of the slime.
Be sure you use the tube type and use enough. I bought an 8oz bottle and put half in one tube the rest in the other. Still running same tubes.

Willie-D what part of Utah are you in? If you are in the Salt Lake area you should check out bikewagon. They will have a huge selection of 24x3s. They are at 680 w 200 n in North Salt Lake.

Last edited:
Ok maybe I got a little crazy by saying HUGE selection. They do have 2 styles of tires and 2 different types of tubes. I guess that is pretty huge for Salt Lake.

I am not a fan of slime as it breaks down and the fibers ball up after 6months -year. Then you have a "dead rat" balled up in your tube that can't be patched because of the slime liquid. I have heard better things about using Stan's Tubeless stuff in place of slime.

I run Schwalbe tires with kevlar layered in. I have both the Big Apples and Big Bens. They work well and I have not had a flat in a few years. That is saying alot as I live in an area with lots of them. I have also found that riding in the street is much better than riding on sidewalks or vacant lots for goat head avoidance.

Sometimes it seems like those goat heads sprout legs and walk out on all rideable surfaces. Riding in these parts of the country this time of year is no fun unless you use a Kevlar layered tire, thorn resistant tubes, and tire liners.

I have sand spurs here, the little bastages get everywhere! Stay out of the grass.
Best idea is to use a pair of worn out round profile tires and make liners. 2.125 should work fine.

Thanks folks!

I looked up the Schwalbe tires but they are all 24x2.15 - I like the looks of the 24x3.0

I layered a tire liner, used heavier duty tubes and slimed the tires - we will see how that works!

I may cut up some old tubes (that I that I have a few!) and layer a set in the tire too...

@PedalBite - I am in Midvale, so I will swing by there next time I head into the city center way! THANKS!

~Will

Latest posts

Back