Prevent Flat Cruiser Tires ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went for a 12 mile ride today, and got into some GOATHEAD thorns near the end. Thankfully, it was within a mile of the house, so it wasn't a terrible walk. Both tires F L A T

BUT, what can ya'll recommend for preventing flat fat tires?

My Felt runs 24x3.0 THICK BRICKS and I quit counting after 20 some-odd GOATHEADS I plucked out.

I did search for THORN resistant TUBES in 24x3.0 and came back with NOTHING. Its even tough to find regular tubes!

Can I just put a thicker thorn resistant tube that is sized for a 24x2.125 in there and maybe a SKIN between the tire & tube? Would that work?

UGH.

Before I go trying to re-invent the longer lasting less flat fat tire - has someone already cracked this nut?

Thanks!

~Will

This is why I use Car and Motorcycle tires... ;) Fat and pretty much flat proof!

Seriously though, I have heard of people trimming an old tire and placing it inside the new one outside the tube to add an extra layer... Seems like it should work, but would add weight...

Luke.

I was tired of the Honey Locust thorns flattening my riding mower front tires. Took one in to get fixed and the guy had a strip of white nylon (?) about 6" wide and fairly thin. He cut it to shape and put it in the tire, then the tube and reassembled. Never had a flat on that one again. Eventually replaced all the front tires on both mowers with solid rubber. Gary

I was tired of the Honey Locust thorns flattening my riding mower front tires. Took one in to get fixed and the guy had a strip of white nylon (?) about 6" wide and fairly thin. He cut it to shape and put it in the tire, then the tube and reassembled. Never had a flat on that one again. Eventually replaced all the front tires on both mowers with solid rubber. Gary
I ended up getting the tires on my walk behind slasher solid filled, best decision ever made!
Would make a bike super heavy though!

Luke.

Is there a conversion chart or something for motorcycle tubes for 24x3.0 ?

I had looked at solid and that would be a painful ride - plus conversion to 26" or 20" skinny tires 2.0"

Will

Did a quick search and that an 80/100 x 21 is about as tall as they go...

Yeah I am not going to be around a bike ship for a week or so with work hours!

Any other thoughts ?

M/C tires are measured differently, a 80/100/21 would probably fit a 26x4 beast or dolomite tire...
measure the rim bead size of your wheel and that will give you the rim size, I would guess it to be a 19"

Luke.

Make sure your AAA membership is current and stay close to
a main drag.:crazy:...Stevil

I had looked at that Stans stuff -

I caught a deal on 3 tubes - so I am planning on lining the tire interior with a glued in trimmed tube that is already flat - then slime the new tube.

HOPEFULLY that will get it done.

I did learn why they are called "balloon" tires...

Keep the ideas coming though - or thoughts on if my plan has faults!

- Will

I had a thick brick go down Saturday 20 minutes before the Tour De Fat started. Thankfully my friends were around to hand me tools and lend a hand as we pulled some NASCAR style to get it patched and back together. I Slimed my tubes sunday and will be picking up 4 thorn strips when I get a chance. I'll put 2 side by side then run some electrical tap down the gap to hold them together before installing.

Funny though, after years of running thick bricks this is the first time something got through. We couldn't even find what it was. Goat Head probably that peeled off as I rode.

what if you haf something like a mr tuffy tire liner in a bigger size , i did get a flat using on of them the brown coloured ones ,the bike shop i bought it at gave me a free tube
i didn't send it to the company that make mr tufy tire liners

I know some people have had trouble with Slime and Slime tubes, does anyone have experience with the OKO tubes with the sealant in them?

Installed two of them on a buddies bike last week and was really impressed, in fact we had to remove the valves, clean them and poke a hole through the sealant that had collected behind the valve, that stuff sets hard and super fast! After doing all that and pumping a little air in to get it all installed, we had to do it again to get them up to pressure when we finished, the pump would just sit there holding 100p.s.i. and the valve was locked, it had sealed up in just the time is took to seat the tires...

If that is any indication of how they will work when there is a puncture, I am impressed!

Luke.

I checked the OKO website and they don't do tubes in my size, only:

16" x 1.75 / 2.125 Schräder valve (normal height).
20" x 1.75 / 2.125 Schräder valve (normal height).
26" x 1.75 / 2.125 Schräder valve (normal height).
26” x 1.75 / 2.125 Presta valve (40mm height).
26" x 2.10/2.40 Schräder valve (normal height).
26" x 2.10/2.40 Presta valve (40mm height).

29" x 1.90 / 2.35 Schräder valve (normal height).
29" x 1.90 / 2.35 Presta valve (40mm height).
700 x 28 / 35C Schräder valve (normal height).
700 x 28 / 35C Presta valve (40mm height).

--

I didn't see who sells them in the USA even? Where did your friend get theirs?

~Will

I like tire liners. I tend to use them on my 700cc Kevlar road tires as they head towards the end of their useful life. They do make the tires a little heavier and more resistant. I don't know if it would be as noticeable on a heavier bike.

SO the 'SPECIALIZED' three tubes I scored on eBay turned out to be duds. ALL the valve stems leak!

I went to the LBS and got some sunlite 2.5" tire liners and RED ARROW tubes that are really thick and have completely threaded valve stems.

I am going to see and insure that they hold air before chugging them up with SLIME.

What a pain.

The 24" x 3.0 size is a bit of rarity in these parts, guess I need to stock up or try the motorcycle tube!

I think I have it figured out now - but we'll see!

~Will

Latest posts

Back