PRE WAR ELGIN BIKE BLACK LIMO TAXI BICYCLE SIDE CAR UPDATE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: PRE WAR ELGIN BIKE BLACK LIMO TAXI BICYCLE

Nice job! 8)

tanksalot said:
...The rear cog that was on the Red Columbia bike that had the silver painted rims, That I painted black had a wider cog Than most standard chain bikes .. I checked the red wheels now on the Columbia they where both regular pitch chain ..But the silver wheels now black, for some reason had a wider cog width ....

Yeah, both 1/2" pitch, but 1/8" and 3/16" wide?
Funny they're both Westfield bikes, too :lol:

looking good btw
thumbup1.gif

LOOKING GOOD!! MAN I FORGOT HOW MUCH AWESOME STUFF YOU HAVE!! GTB

Then I have to figure out what to do with the lighting ..Im torn between bulbs or leds & I have to decide what to use for a tail loght lens.Id really like to use the Black & white seat on my Columbia in the photo for this bike but Its not a prewar seat & it looks cool on The Columbia . 8)

DSC00245_zps2e7872df.jpg

DSC00247_zps26c4f6aa.jpg

deven_science said:
Can never go wrong with skirt guards!

+1
Last year it was bare metal and Fat/Skinny.
This year we have a lot of skirts (which is a good thing).
Looking sharp buddy!

The side car is attached and I went a a test run with a crash dummy . But the front bracket is a no go its to close to the crank arm but it did work fine side car wise.. I also had to relocate the other center mounting bracket to the seat mount clamp.
Im going to make the same bracket but like a big L shape..
DSC00267_zpsa17031c9.jpg

DSC00265_zpse56da181.jpg

I did remove the side car tub off of the rear axle beam to see what I was working with ( Sorry no pic ) Its basicly a straight beam with two holes & a wheel ..I was looking into a spring system using a raleigh Chopper spring set on the bar.. But the the rest of the frame supports would have to move (pivot) some how..But I also attached the other support to the frame seat clamp instead of the frame witha added clamp( Its more sturdy this way now.) Im open to any suggestions :?: :idea:
DSC00270_zpsdf4fb169.jpg

I think I have the stance right now for the side car but I still need to make a front bracket .. Im considering using a lower frame tube for the curved shape & mashing the ends .
DSC00268_zps239fd0c1.jpg

Re: PRE WAR ELGIN BIKE BLACK LIMO TAXI BICYCLE SIDE CAR TESTING

That baby is classy enough to be a Limo!!!
Love it.

that side car is incredible!!!!! realy cool build :D

Troy

Thank you .. The side car was originally on a late 1930s / early 1940s Girls Raleigh I used it a few years as it was ..It was restored some durring the 1970s That Explains the fender on the side car.. When found at a Estate Barn the side car was wheeled out durring Summer Months as a Garden Ornament..
( Before I owned it) !! I have been waiting for a better bike to put it on.. So Im glad I found this Elgin it should be a good match when Im done ...
jats said:
that side car is incredible!!!!! realy cool build :D

Troy

You may want to use a piece of conduit for that front tube. It looks like you'll darn near need a 90 deg. at the frame attachment point to get some pedal clearance. As another PW Elgin entrant and former sidecar builder I'll say I'm diggin' this!

Latest posts

Back